Pests on Chinese Elm

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Pests on Chinese Elm

Post by Raging Bull »

I have noticed that one of my Chinese Elms (my oldest and largest one) is not looking 100% lately. :(
2020.12.30 01e.JPG
On closer inspection I found that it appears to have two pests attacking it. There is a slightly sticky, shiny coating on a lot of the leaves and it is losing more leaves than normal at this time of the year. They are turning yellow and then die as they change to brown.
The more easily visible pest is a very small grub or caterpillar, only about 5 mm long which I assume is eating some of the leaves. That I can deal with by spraying. The more difficult one is a very small insect, only about 1 mm long , whitish in colour and I think that is the one doing the most damage. It is not whitefly, I've seen those before when I've grown vegetables. If anyone can identify and suggest the best treatment to get rid of these pests it would be appreciated.
I've taken a few pics to show the pests, but the white one was difficult to photograph as it is so small.
2020.12.30 02e.JPG
2020.12.30 03e.JPG
2020.12.30 04e.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Re: Pests on Chinese Elm

Post by Phil Rabl »

Not sure if you get woolly aphids up north, but that's what they look like. I have noticed some on a few of my trees here in Canberra lately. I'm not spraying them.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The sticky stuff is called honeydew. It is waste excreted by the bugs feeding on sap of the tree. Left unchecked it will soon develop a black coating known as sooty mould but you have noticed early so treatment is possible.
The bugs should all be killed by any contact pesticide - pyrethrum or natra soap or similar should deal with them but you do have to get the spray on the insects so spray the entire plant, top and bottom of all leaves. It seems to pay to repeat spray a few weeks later to catch any you missed and any new hatchings.
Systemics are even more efficient as the chemical circulates right through the plant and kills anything that eats it for a few weeks but systemics can end up killing good bugs as well.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

I use a neem oil spray when it is cooler--- or while hand watering remove away from other plants and just use a jet of water to wash off any bugs or residue. repeat when necessary. seems to keep them controlled
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Thanks for your help. :tu: I used a spray on it in the end, Yates Roseshield, and I'll repeat the treatment in a couple of weeks. I normally pick off pests from my trees by hand, but these little buggers almost can't be seen by the naked eye.
At the moment I'm also having to constantly remove sawfly larvae that keep munching on a couple of callistamon I have, at least they're easy to spot.
Have a good New Year , All, Cheers, Frank :aussie:
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

That caterpillar looked like a ladybug larva and might actually have been eating the aphids.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”