(not bonsai) Scale on potted lemon tree

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Joshua
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Club Montpellier

(not bonsai) Scale on potted lemon tree

Post by Joshua »

Hello,

We have a potted lemon tree that we bought from a nursery a year ago. It was doing pretty well, loads of flowers, and we even got a few lemons off it.
It had a few scales every now and then we dealt with, then after a little neglect through winter it seems to be overrun by them now.

I'm not sure how bad the problem needs to get before it's detrimental to the tree health but it's to a point now that it would take a lot of work to try to treat them all by hand, but mostly I'd be uncertain about getting to them all.

Instead, I was thinking we could give the tree a severe chop, getting rid of most of the top foliage and small branches, and most of the scale with them.
Then try to pick off the reamining scale when the tree is smaller and more manageable.
(then obviously keep up the work on prevention and maintenance from there while it grows back).

So a couple of questions:
Is this a bad idea? :D
Any general advice for treating and preventing scale?
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: (not bonsai) Scale on potted lemon tree

Post by greg27 »

Joshua wrote: March 11th, 2021, 10:39 pm Any general advice for treating and preventing scale?
I use neem oil on scale which seems to be quite effective (Eco-Neem from the big green shed). I use a cheap 5l pump spray bottle so it's quick and easy to apply.

In terms of prevention, if you can keep the ants off the plant that will help. Ants farm scale - they physically move the insects around on the plant, and will protect the scale from predators. There are sticky insect traps and other deterrents you can put around the base of the tree to help keep the ants off.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”