Callistemon pest problem

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Callistemon pest problem

Post by Keels »

Morning everyone,

I have been having issues with my callistemons for most of the summer and i can't figure out whats doing the damage.

I think there are two different issues happening. First issue, some pest is cutting off new fresh leaves every night. Nothing happens during the day only seems to happen at night.
IMG_20220112_201146_copy_1094x1459.jpg

Second issue is i have the ends of the fresh growth being chewed. It's sticky to touch. This is only happening to the new growth.
IMG_20220112_201212_copy_1094x1459.jpg
IMG_20220123_073613_copy_1094x1459.jpg
IMG_20220112_201321_copy_1094x145 9.jpg
IMG_20220112_201318_copy_1094x1459.jpg
IMG_20220112_201245_copy_1094x1459.jpg
Has this happened to anyone in the past? Can any one help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Callistemon pest problem

Post by shibui »

I see one photo where leaves appear to be glued together. There are several caterpillars that eat callistemon and mels and hide during the day inside a shelter of web and leaves. They come out at night to feed.
Look for clumps of leaves glued together and open it up to see if you can find the culprit.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

shibui wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 2:40 pm I see one photo where leaves appear to be glued together. There are several caterpillars that eat callistemon and mels and hide during the day inside a shelter of web and leaves. They come out at night to feed.
Look for clumps of leaves glued together and open it up to see if you can find the culprit.
Thanks Shibui. I went back out and investigated the leaves stuck together and there are caterpillars in there. Very tiny ones. Interesting that they only want to eat the callistemon leaves.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Most lepidoptera species have very specific food requirements. Silkworms eat mulberry, Grapevine moth feeds on grape leaves, Orchard swallowtails only feed on citrus.

The hidden grubs can be hard to control. Contact insecticides like pyrethrum won't work while they are hidden in the nest. Manual removal works but I have trouble keeping up with them. Dipel (bacillus thurriensis) is a naturally occurring fungus that only affects caterpillars when they eat the spores so it can control them when they come out to eat sprayed foliage at night. Systemics like imacloprid also work as it spreads through the whole plant and kills anything that feeds on the tree for several weeks. Don't use when trees are flowering because it may also affect bees.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tgooboon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine & Ficus
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by tgooboon »

I struggled with these solar caterpillar's on a number of my Callistemon's for last 18 months. Tried cutting off and pyrethrum many times. I also was getting sawfly, which can really destroy leaves
I Ended up using baythroid, which is all I could get, as I couldn't get Imidacloprid. The baythroid was very successful.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Return to “Pests and Diseases”