Myrtle Rust in Western Sydney's humid summer

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
MattM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 2

Myrtle Rust in Western Sydney's humid summer

Post by MattM »

Hello all,
This summer has been the first time I have ever had myrtle rust on some of my native species bonsai's. It has been so wet and humid in my area (Penrith/Hawkesbury) this summer with a top temperature of 36 degrees. It's never been like this in my 20 years in the area, it's usually really dry heat and a week or 2 of 40+ degrees.
Anyway I'm struggling to find decent upto date information on myrtle rust. I have pruned the diseased foliage off and put it in the red bin, and I have also sprayed infected plants with a fungicide. The fungicide seems to have varying levels of success depending on the species.
I am after advice what others do to treat it
Will it not be present next summer if it's back to our really dry summers?
Will fungicides kill it off for good?
Thanks,
Matt
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Myrtle Rust in Western Sydney's humid summer

Post by delisea »

Hi Matt,
I'm on the mid North coast where it has been very wet, but strangely there has been no rust this year. I'm not sure why? Some if the species that get hit hard are making a come back in the bush.
The fungul sprays work well on bonsai, but it will keep coming back if it is in your area. Keep and eye out and spray as soon as you see it.
Cheers,
Symon
Stevie_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Oz Natives
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Informal Workshop in Ipswich

Post by Stevie_B »

I’m in Ipswich Qld and one of my dwarf Myrtles has it as well. It has been wet and humid here as well. I used Conguard on mine but I suspect I left it too late.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Myrtle rust is endemic now. It’s everywhere across most of the eastern side of Australia and continuing to spread.
You can spray till your hearts content, but you’re just keeping it at bay.

Triforine is the only spray that really works, but it takes its toll on the tree as well.
But more than likely, eventually the myrtle rust will consume whatever you’re growing.

The trick is to grow stock that can tolerate it or outgrow it.
For example, if you grow Agonis flexuosa I have never managed to keep them healthy, as the Myrtle Rust attacks it so quickly, and the tree has very poor resistance to it, that if you have a period of constant rain and low sun, it realy takes hold of the tree.

The problem is that the spores are microscopic, and spread everywhere, lying in wait for optimum conditions to thrive. It’s like trying to spray for covid, eventually someone’s just going to walk back in with more germs.

Then you can also find that the Myrtle Rust itself develops a slight tolerance for triforine. It’s a shocking disease, but natural selection eventually dictates what you can keep healthy.

There are some Eucs and Letpos, and Mels etc that you can grow that will grow well with just a lot of sun and the Myrtle Rust hardly bothers them. But if you have low levels of sun, lots of rain and poor drainage, you’re inviting a cesspool of it.

It can badly affect a lot of myrtaceae varieties.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Pests and Diseases”