Need help with ANTS

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elms,ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Need help with ANTS

Post by krittas »

Hi guys just wondering if there is a way to get rid of ants ..... I have tried using some of the powders(ant dust) but the problem still persists...now that the weather is becoming hot now is when the problem seems to blow out....
What have you guys and girls used in the past for this problem..... Does anyone have some home remedies????

Any help would be great....... :? :? :?
Chris H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All of them.
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: School of bonsai

Re: Need help with ANTS

Post by Chris H »

soak the pot in water till all the ants run out of the soil and then spray them
Aikido keeps me rolling; Bonsai keeps me still.
JayP
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine/Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Goshu

Post by JayP »

use pyrethrum spray it will kill them on contact, cant beat it!!
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Hartos wrote:soak the pot in water till all the ants run out of the soil and then spray them
Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to the tub of water you're soaking your pot in. This will help the water penetrate the soil more thoroughly, and should cause the ants to drown.

Good luck.

Fly.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Post by sreeve »

Hi Krittas,

I think the advice you have already got is pretty good.

When I have had an ant infestation it has normally been because there are scale on the particular tree or neighbouring trees. May be worth a closer double check. Scale are pesky things and set back a couple of my trees over the years.

I have also had an ant nest in a void that I left below a tree once at the time of repotting.
Regards
Steve
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I keep touting a product I use on everything, standard trees and shrubs, azaleas, natives - and it works a treat without any problem for the plant. I like it because I sprinkle a bit over the soil and water it in and within hours the ants are gone. I have found with soaking that ants climb up the tree and there is a long battle to get rid of them. Plus the fact, I don't want to chase them from the tree to other parts of the garden.

So, yet again, FIX ANT. Main constitutent Chlorpyrifos. Available in a yellow and white tube container from Bunnings for about $7-8.

If there are ants scurrying up and down the bark I sprinkle some in the upper areas of the tree. No mess, no fuss, cheap as chips and fully effective.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by krittas »

MelaQuin wrote:I keep touting a product I use on everything, standard trees and shrubs, azaleas, natives - and it works a treat without any problem for the plant. I like it because I sprinkle a bit over the soil and water it in and within hours the ants are gone. I have found with soaking that ants climb up the tree and there is a long battle to get rid of them. Plus the fact, I don't want to chase them from the tree to other parts of the garden.

So, yet again, FIX ANT. Main constitutent Chlorpyrifos. Available in a yellow and white tube container from Bunnings for about $7-8.

If there are ants scurrying up and down the bark I sprinkle some in the upper areas of the tree. No mess, no fuss, cheap as chips and fully effective.

im off to bunnings tomorrow to see if they have got any of these......i have tried dish washing liquid but they come back just as soon as they appeared....i guess they do have 3 sets of legs to help them...lol

looking for something that will help on a longer basis so will see if i can get this "ANT FIX" or Pyrethrum.....
i do think i am getting abit of a scale problem because of the ants....what can be used to help this besides getting rid of the ants....cheers guys for the help so far......HELP
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

I use ant rid, the liquid stuff, just put some in a bottle cap and sit it on the top of the soil. If one ant takes some back to the nest, they all are dead.

And definately check for scale.
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Aphids on a tree are often 'farmed' by ants for the sticky exudation which the ants love. It is necessary to remove the aphids, scale and in fact anything which exudes honeydew, without which, the ants move out. The so called ant poisons will almost certainly remove any beneficial insect life as well such as those that prey on aphids. Leaving the tree open to re-infestation.
This may not be a problem but is worth taking into consideration.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

I guess I am lucky because I back onto bushland. I always have spiders and other cool little insects moving into my growing area. But I understand that no everyone is this lucky.
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 19

Post by BoNZai »

there is also a product put on the market bt "Raid" called liquid ant killer. readily availlable from Mitre 10. It's a liquid that you put in the trail or path of the Ants.
Works good.

BoNZai
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Mix crushed garlic and chilli in water and spray them. I use Nagar Jolokia (the world's hottest chilli) and this works like a treat and oh, environmentally friendly too LoL :D
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by krittas »

kvan64 wrote:Mix crushed garlic and chilli in water and spray them. I use Nagar Jolokia (the world's hottest chilli) and this works like a treat and oh, environmentally friendly too LoL :D
very interesting....it maybe worth a try as im getting despirate now coz they go then are back 2 weeks later.....im almost ready to get shares in some of these ant dust companies.....hehehehehe

Return to “Pests and Diseases”