Rust/Black Spots on Ficus

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Max Jenkem
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 23

Rust/Black Spots on Ficus

Post by Max Jenkem »

Hi all,
Brought a fig back froma nursery recently and noticed it had some black spots on the leaves, they eventually turn totally yellow then drop. Despite keeping it isolated from my main collection it seems to have started to spread to another of my Ficus rubiginosa (or maybe F.obliqua, not sure). Leong's book says it's either a fungal mould/rust of some sort and to apply lime sulphur but old threads on here recommended Mancozeb.
Anyone know the preferred method of eliminating this? I disinfect my tools and dispose of infected leaves already.
Cheers!
20220901_153444.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sydney
NSW
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Re: Rust/Black Spots on Ficus

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

I understand that is normal for figs (maybe not at this time of year?) and you shouldn’t be worried.

But let others confirm.
--
No idea what I am doing…
Stevie_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Oz Natives
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Informal Workshop in Ipswich

Post by Stevie_B »

I have the same on my figs. I'm in Ipswich Qld. I think it is the tree throwing off leaves for some reason - stress maybe. But it doesn't seem to go on all the leaves, and shoots still come, so I don't think it's a problem
Max Jenkem
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 23

Post by Max Jenkem »

Yeah this isn't normal for my figs. Losing leaves exponentially faster than it's putting them on.
Sydney
NSW
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper

Post by TimIAm »

Is there a reason you wouldn't do a full or partial defoliation? The reason I'd suggest it is because my understanding is that dying leaves at some point take more than they give. Make sure to put all of the leaves in the garbage. Then you reduce the risk of whatever it is spreading to new growth, or at least reduce the population if it's an infestation. I would have already done at least a partial defoliation the day I brought it home, especially as the weather is heating up + it's a ficus + you've got Sydney weather. (As always there's risks, you make the decision, this is just what I'd do)

A big question; how soon do the spots appear on new leaves or is it already appearing on the stipules before the leaves even open?
barefoot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pines
Bonsai Age: 35
Bonsai Club: Cumberland / National

Post by barefoot »

The black spots usually appear when the fig is too wet over the winter period and yes it usually appears on leaves that are due too fall. I have sprayed the year for the first time but apart from normal practice of cleaning your tools make sure all leaves are pick
barefoot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pines
Bonsai Age: 35
Bonsai Club: Cumberland / National

Post by barefoot »

The black spots usually appear when the fig is too wet over the winter period and yes it usually appears on leaves that are due too fall. I have sprayed this year a fungicide for the first time but little was achieved. Apart from normal practice of cleaning your tools make sure all leaves are picked up and disposed off as rubbish not greens waste.
Let the trees get a bit of strength back in them before defoliation especially since it has been so wet and will continue to be.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Hey Max, I've had really good success with the Lime Sulphur spray in previous years on my largest fig.
Removed all the remaining leaves and sprayed trunk & bare branches liberally (without getting too much into the soil)
I believe this saved the tree, but I still lost a few major branches that where too far gone.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”