Potential root rot

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
TangerineDreamMachine!
Favorite Species: Aussie species mostly
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Ray nesci

Potential root rot

Post by TangerineDreamMachine! »

Hi I’m new to bonsai, and just potted my first Forrest of swamp cypress. There is four trees in my Forrest and the smallest one has wilted leaves at the top of the plant and similar going down for 3 cross bars.

My questions are as follows,,

Isthis a sign of root rot?

How do I save this tree ?

Because it shares the same pot do I need to assume all the trees have root rot?

Does root rot present the same symptoms on all species?

Please help I’m trying to attach pics
37964094-57EF-48AE-A4B4-3D6AE5FFFB06.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Potential root rot

Post by KIRKY »

Can you please put your location in your profile it helps when giving advice. Assume you’re from NSW?
It won’t be root rot as the name swamp suggests just the lives in a swamp water environment.
It would be more likely that because you have repotted it out or season and it has stressed the plant. These are generally repotted during the winter months when dormant/bare leaf.
You can sit the forest tray in water or it back into a grow pot stake it and sit in water Some Seasol may assist with the stress caused.
The other reason including above could 1. The plant is young, looks to still be a soft wood trunk. 2. you don’t mention if you removed roots and how much. 3. How much water you gave it after planting your forest out of season and if it dried out. (I believe this to be the case).
4. Soil mix to dry. All this information helps give you a better answer. If you can give us more details great.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Potential root rot

Post by shibui »

Agree. Very unlikely to be root rot
First because you've just transplanted and root rot takes months to affect trees and usually trees that have been too wet for months rather than days.
Second, swampies are trees that love to sit in water so they don't seem to have trouble with root rot.

The wilting is almost certainly from the compromised root system after repotting but the tree still needs water for the leaves. Knowing where you are would help know more. Most trees can sort these problems out for themselves buy dropping excess leaves until the new roots grow. Probably best to make sure they have plenty of water and cross fingers for now.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pests and Diseases”