Dying stock

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Re: Dying stock

Post by BirchMan »

Good reminder Dansai. From this topic (thanks Mickey) I've been reminded of the importance of the bucket-soak. I did it yesterday morning on several of my plants and can guess from the amount of bubbles coming up that even with generous hose soaking as my usual watering technique there would still be dry air pockets within. I think it might be wise to supplement the hose method with dunkings during summer.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I think it might be wise to supplement the hose method with dunkings during summer.
This is one of the gems I pass on to many beginners. Good chance it will save you a lot of heartache until you really get a feel for watering in summer.
Dansai mentioned weight of pots as an indication. Soak the pot, let it drain for 5 minutes then feel the weight. That's how a well watered pot should feel.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Thanks for the replies lads, I appreciate it. I am moving towards dehydration. I went to soak a few and they floated… unfortunately I just didn’t get the time to repot them all this spring.

If it is dehydration is there a chance of survival or it’s possible they’re cooked? They are getting worse ☹️ I have upped the water a lot, these 40+ degree days aren’t helping 😭

I have been soaking each day just in case I get lucky.

Thanks again everyone 👍🏼
Mickey
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by TimIAm »

Is there not a chance to contact a local bonsai club or nursery and have someone come and take a look, or possibly arrange to take a few plants for someone to have a look at your soil. To give you a couple of pointers on what changes you may need to make or how to water with the soil you've got?

I just can't think of an easy way to help with something like this across the net other than educated guesses.

My closest bonsai nursery, the team there is very helpful and would give advice if I brought them a plant or two to look at. I'm not sure how bonsai clubs work, but I assume there may be someone who has the time to come and give your setup a look over. For a few dollars it might be worth it as it would be a learning experience and save you having to lose some good trees.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”