Phoma

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Phoma

Post by Pup »

Hello all I thought I would post this as I know a lot of you have. Juniperus procumbens and nana. Also squamata prostrata. These plants are subject to a fungal disease called Phoma. I discovered it after my trees started to look sick. I thought it was an insect attack so the usual treatments. Nothing seemed to work. The trees just stated to get worse. Then I saw insects. What is this I thought . I was reading Deborah Koreshoff's Book and there it was. Phoma a fungus. To treat it use a Copper sulphide fungal spray. Mancozeb plus, is also a good one. What to look for is distorted growth on new shoots. While this will not kill your tree it will weaken it, so insects can have free reign. I have a picture of one of my Cascades that is getting over it. I have had to do some rewiring.
P1020196.JPG
P1020198.JPG
P1020200.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Phoma

Post by Jon Chown »

Thanks for this post Pup - I have a San Jose Juniper that I thought had an attack of red spider mite so I sprayed it with Confidor a few weeks ago and have not seen any improvement. I'll hit it with the Mancozeb tomorrow.

Jon
Last edited by Jon Chown on December 30th, 2008, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Phoma

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi Pup,

Thank you for the info. I have only two squamata prostrata junipers. I bought them when they were about
1 year old. When I brought them home, the TV stations were running the news of the passing of Princess Diana.

Might be the climates are different or something, I could not say that I have any pests or dieases with this
squamata prostrata junipers. But then again I have only two.

Regards,

Viet.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”