GALL MITES ON FIGS

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
senseijames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Swamp Cypress, Liquidambars
Bonsai Age: 39
Bonsai Club: Kinnoto Bonsai Group

GALL MITES ON FIGS

Post by senseijames »

Hi peoples...has anyone had a problem with Gall Mites on their Figs, every year around this time my Figs cop it from the little buggers.... does anyone know a cure or deterrent....I have started burning incense near my trees to keep the Gall Wasps away, but if anyone can help with something to kill the Mites in the leaves...that would be great..., also what is the mixing ratios for the Bi Carb and Milk remedy...I prefer to use Non Toxic & Eco Friendly Sprays when possible.

Thanks to all who reply
James
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: GALL MITES ON FIGS

Post by Jester »

Hi Sensei James. Mate, I have spent quite a bit of time researching your problem and unless I'm mistaken, you're talking about Wasp Galls......well at least, that is the only entry I found in my rather comprehensive book of pests. It says the wasps are only a few mm's long and lay their eggs into very young plant tissue and the larvae feed on the plant tissue and pupate inside the gall that has been created. The adults then emerge from the hole they create from the inside of the gall. If we are both talking about the same thing, the book says there is no chemical control. It says prune the affected twigs or leaves and fertilise the plant.

Mate, what I would say, is, give Natrasoap a go. I have found it to be very effective on mites in general. It is a soap based spray made by Yates and although it is not non-toxic, it is labelled as low toxic. I have included a picture of the product if that helps. By the way, are we talking about the fruiting type of figs?? (Ficus Carica?). Be careful here because depending on the type of fig you have, it may not be the pest you are thinking of and therefore the treatment may be completely different. If you can provide a photo with a closeup of the leaf (or other affected areas), that would be a big help in identifying the problem. Sometimes a gall mite affected area could be mistaken for a type of psyllid.

The other option is more of a preventative measure but I'm not sure if it will work. It is a wasp trap bait. (Pictures should be attached)

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jester on May 22nd, 2010, 9:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
senseijames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by senseijames »

Jester wrote:Hi Sensei James. Mate, I have spent quite a bit of time researching your problem and unless I'm mistaken, you're talking about Wasp Galls......well at least, that is the only entry I found in my rather comprehensive book of pests. It says the wasps are only a few mm's long and lay their eggs into very young plant tissue and the larvae feed on the plant tissue and pupate inside the gall that has been created. The adults then emerge from the hole they create from the inside of the gall. If we are both talking about the same thing, the book says there is no chemical control. It says prune the affected twigs or leaves and fertilise the plant.

Mate, what I would say, is, give Natrasoap a go. I have found it to be very effective on mites in general. It is a soap based spray made by Yates and although it is not non-toxic, it is labelled as low toxic. I have included a picture of the product if that helps. By the way, are we talking about the fruiting type of figs?? (Ficus Carica?). Be careful here because depending on the type of fig you have, it may not be the pest you are thinking of and therefore the treatment may be completely different. If you can provide a photo with a closeup of the leaf (or other affected areas), that would be a big help in identifying the problem. Sometimes a gall mite affected area could be mistaken for a type of psyllid.

The other option is more of a preventative measure but I'm not sure if it will work. It is a wasp trap bait. (Pictures should be attached)

John
Hi John, thanks very much for your detailed information, greatly appreciated, my figs are Qld Small Leaf and Moreton Bay and Port Jackson figs, and with further information searching, I think you are right about the psyllid, it definitely looks like them, I will give the natrasoap a try also, again many thanks for all your trouble. Kind regards, James
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!

Post by Jester »

Hi again James. Before you do ANYTHING , can I strongly suggest you get a photo of the leaf with as much clarity as possible. If it's psyllids, Natrasoap may be of no use to you. Natrasoap is predominantly for mites. If it IS psyllids I can recommend something specifically for that. Please please please show us a photo first. If they are psyllids I will know straight away.

John
senseijames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by senseijames »

Jester wrote:Hi again James. Before you do ANYTHING , can I strongly suggest you get a photo of the leaf with as much clarity as possible. If it's psyllids, Natrasoap may be of no use to you. Natrasoap is predominantly for mites. If it IS psyllids I can recommend something specifically for that. Please please please show us a photo first. If they are psyllids I will know straight away.

John
Hello John.....ok, I have done some photos but they didn't turn out very clear, so see what you think.I will try and get some better pics 2 moro.
photofigleafpest 24.05.10.jpg
photofigleafpestsingle 24.05.10.jpg
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by senseijames on May 24th, 2010, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!

Post by Jester »

Hi Sensei, the photos are'nt great, so if you can get some clearer closeups that would be great. The more light you have, the easier it is to get a clearer closeup. I suggest you take a photo witht the sun above and behind you. In any case, from what I can see, it's not fig psylllids, that's for sure but before I say anything else. By the way, are many of the leafs on the trees afftected. ? Eg What percentage would u say is affected on each tree?
senseijames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by senseijames »

Jester wrote:Hi Sensei, the photos are'nt great, so if you can get some clearer closeups that would be great. The more light you have, the easier it is to get a clearer closeup. I suggest you take a photo witht the sun above and behind you. In any case, from what I can see, it's not fig psylllids, that's for sure but before I say anything else. By the way, are many of the leafs on the trees afftected. ? Eg What percentage would u say is affected on each tree?
Hi John, yeah there wasn't much sun out this morning when i took the photos....send some tomorrow , only the newer top leaves are affected, i would say about 10 to 15 percent roughly, Actually it seems as if the new leaves have this infestation as they develop
James
Last edited by senseijames on May 24th, 2010, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!

Post by Jester »

Hi Sensei, yes mate, if you can get some clearer photos that would be great. Incidentally, do the wasps you get look anything like the guys below?
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

i get those wasps around my place all the time, the build a papery sort of nest that hang of branches, blast them of with a water spray, and drown them, they are hard to get rid of but dont do to much harm, what will do harm though is thrips, and thats what you have looking at those leaves, if you check underneath the damaged leaves you may find a little bug that looks a little like a scorpion, they are the thrips in bug form then they turn into a flying insect, i have seen some heavy infestation, i get the occasional tree that gets them, removing all damaged leaves and burning them and then spray the tree with confidor, that has worked a treat for me james so it should for you, we are in the same sort of climate although you get a bit cooler than i do here ;)
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!

Post by Jester »

If they ARE thrips James, then I imagine you should be able to see at least one or two. Below is a picture showing a thrip.
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings James,
You may want to try this an answer to your bug problem.
Find a native tabacco bush and collect about a dozen leaves.
Scrunch up the leaves in a 2 litre drink bottle half full of water.
Shake hard, allow to sit for a few days then strain out the big lumps. Spray all over tree, both sides of leaves. There should be enough nicotine in the spray to remove most bugs.
Keep us in the loop with developing the new club. The Sunshine coast club is close and strong.
Happy bonsai.
Bruce
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by NathanM »

I have a couple of figs that seem to be doing the same thing. The leaves curling, but had reddish spots on them? I have cut them all off I believe, and sprayed with Confidor. See how it goes.
I’ve recently moved to a new area with a lot more wildlife and not as “sterile” (for lack of better word) as my old place.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

there the ones john :D nasty little buggers, sometimes the tails are more pronounced in the curve, but yes they are little buggers, BB also makes a good point, the tobacco tea spray will work a treat smoking does kill.... :roll: (bad joke i know) :lol:

gday nath :D it sounds like you either have thrips or rust. you will have to do it by process, treat for thrips, see how that goes if it still comes back treat for rust.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by NathanM »

Hey Jamie, thanks dude :) I’ve sprayed the offenders with confidor after removing leaves, so see how it goes. I’ve got a different species of ficus as well, a virens, that is having other leaf issues. Perhaps something eating them, but I never find any bugs caterpillars ;/ Might grab some pics of both when I get a second (and a cable to get them onto the computer) and make a thread.
In the meantime, will see what happens after the confidor :)

Speaking of the tobacco tea.... What/where can I find native tobacco plants?? I wouldn't mind giving this a shot!
senseijames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by senseijames »

bonsaibruce wrote:Greetings James,
You may want to try this an answer to your bug problem.
Find a native tabacco bush and collect about a dozen leaves.
Scrunch up the leaves in a 2 litre drink bottle half full of water.
Shake hard, allow to sit for a few days then strain out the big lumps. Spray all over tree, both sides of leaves. There should be enough nicotine in the spray to remove most bugs.
Keep us in the loop with developing the new club. The Sunshine coast club is close and strong.
Happy bonsai.
Bruce
Hi Bruce, greetings back, thanks for the information, i shall give it a try.
James

Return to “Pests and Diseases”