Deformed leaves on Melaleuca rhaphiophylla

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Deformed leaves on Melaleuca rhaphiophylla

Post by Steven »

:gday:

Following are pictures of deformed leaves on a Melaleuca rhaphiophylla. The older leaves are not effected, it's only the fresh new growth.
Pup say's it is most likely Thrip but nothing else in my garden is effected. Is it possible that thrip would effect only 1 tree?
2011 August (Strange foliage growth).JPG
2011 August (Strange foliage growth 2).JPG
Any advice or pest/disease ID's would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Deformed leaves on Melaleuca rhaphiophylla

Post by Bretts »

Could be Myrtle Rust :shock:
I can't see any yellow spores as it is described but I would keep a close eye on it as it does fit otherwise. They are trying to eradicate it and I guess they are destroying all trees found with it so that would be very bad news :o
Myrtle rust could have devastating effects on Australian industries and ecosystems where susceptible species occur. Myrtle rust is an emergency plant pest and should be reported.
If you find plants with symptoms resembling those of Myrtle rust it is essential that you contact the Exotic Plant Pest Hotline on 1800 084 881.
See here http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... ngelii.pdf

:fc: I am wrong :shock:
Last edited by Bretts on August 11th, 2011, 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

This has never affected any other tree in my collection, and only M, rhaphiophylla, and only new growth. The Entomologist in our club is also bemused. He has given me different potions to try the only one that works is Rogor.

There was a potion that was taken from the market, that also worked well called Thymet a systemic.

Cheers Pup

It is not a rust of any kind,
Last edited by Pup on August 11th, 2011, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Steven »

Bretts wrote:Could be Myrtle Rust :shock:
Doesn't appear to be Myrtle Rust Brett.

Does anyone know if thrip can be seen with the naked eye? I have been looking very closely but can't see them or any eggs etc.

Thanks,
Steven
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

yes thrips can be seen with the naked eye, they look like little scorpions around 5mm long, sometimes a tad bigger but they are black. they can be buggers to catch as when you take the leaf and go to turn it upside down they drop off. so best way is to use both hands and have one under the leaf as you pull it.

I havent had any bites or anything from them so I dont think they can hurt us.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi Steven, just to clarify, when you say that these symptoms are only evident in one tree, do you mean a single tree or only in Melaleuca rhaphiophylla trees?

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Steven »

G'day Mojo,

Long time no read.
These symptoms are only evident on this 1 tree. It is the only rhaphiophylla I have. I have about a dozen other Melaleuca species and scores of other trees that are not effected.

Thanks for your interest.
Steven
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Steven,

I would NOT rule Myrtle Rust out yet. The yellow pustules are the last stage of its life cycle. With the weather we are having at the moment, it is possible the warm weather activated it and the cooler temps this week have prevented it from pustulating. I have seen many cases or myrtle rust on Agonis, Eucalyptus, Syncarpia, Myrtus and Tristaniopsis. This does seem very similar, though obviously lacking the yellow pustules. Even if it is not, I would personally isolate it from other plants in the Myrtaceae family if it were mine. I would also consider spraying with a systemic fungicide, though I think none are yet recommended for our strain or myrtle rust as it has yet to be properly tested.
Bretts wrote:They are trying to eradicate it and I guess they are destroying all trees found with it so that would be very bad news :o
Brett, unfortunately it is too late to eradicate. The DPI are now considering it a disease that should be "controlled". It is no longer a reportable disease either. Since April last year, it has spread way up into Queensland and down to Melbourne. There is NO WAY it can be stopped now.

I'm not claiming the tree definitely has myrtle rust, I'm just not ruling it out. Right now many people from the east coast on this website would have trees in their collection that are infected with Myrtle Rust. I had to dispose of one myself when it was still in the reportable diseases list.

Joel
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Interesting thoughts guys ,but how do you explain that a systemic insecticide gets rid of it and it has only effected the rhaphiophylla.

I have had the phenomena for many years, and as I have said no other trees are affected, and I do have a lot of the trees of the Myrtaceae family.

Cheers Pup

Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Steven »

Well, now I'm a bit confused and concerned :lost:
I have several Eucalyptus, Myrtus and Tristaniopsis in very close proximity to this effected Melaleuca and none of them show any signs.
I've never had the need to use a pesticide or insecticide in the past. Only ever used pest oil a hand full of times too. Maybe I've been lucky?

I purchased a bottle of Chemspray Rogor 100 Systemic Insecticide and I'm really hoping that it will cure the deformed leaves and prove my problem to be thrip. I'm really hoping it isn't Myrtle Rust!

I'll update in a week or 2.

Regards,
Steven
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Hi Steven, i can't offer advice but these are my observations (1) 2 Rhaphs i bought from Pup are clear from leaf curl , (2) All my collected Rhaphs have leaf curl and all that i have seen in the bush have it, (3) from my collected trees ,it has not spread to other trees in my collection.
:flag: hope that helps some :)
Last edited by Craig on August 14th, 2011, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
addict2bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: leptospernum laevigatum
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BonSocWA BonW

Post by addict2bonsai »

Hi All, Many of us in the west have this problem on our Rhaph' It is an insect (thrip) Spread by wind. Best treatment is to chop off affected branches and put all pieces in bag then in bin. I do have a picture of what these look like, using microscope, but not on this computer. The picture made my skin tingle. The spray we have been using has been a gut parasitic. Our resident entomologist did a trial on my collection last year very successfully One dose killed them all but they do return the next year. They only go for new growth and never on other Melaleuca species
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I think it is fair to say that i have had more wrong answers to these types of questions than correct ones. I was and I guess still not fully understanding of Pup's experience with what he is seeing here. (Edit, Addict's post seems to be very explanatory :whistle: ) But if he is looking at pictures of the issue while saying that is the issue he, and others, have fixed, especially with his experience with these trees ;) then it is the right choice to try his solution first as you are.
On the other hand I am glad Joel agrees ( nice to see you in the trenches again Joel 8-) ) Considering it does look very similar to the new native rust (remembering that we are seeing varied symptoms as new species are affected) then i think we should not rule it out yet.

I am still not sure Pup is saying it is thrips :lost: But I do wonder if you have split the leaves apart where joined to see if you can see any thrips. I think there could be a little webbing with thrips? I remember some with the little assault they made on a couple of wild trees in my yard.
I was told you may not see them anymore as they have long gone since doing the damage?

I would also say. Don't expect to get a quick solution think of that as a bonus ;) Make plans to manage the trees situation on a long term basis, don't let treatment get more dangerous than the issue. Don't expect the issue to be predictable in which trees it has been infected by or will infect. But a quarantine that will not deprive the tree, is a sensible response, yet very possibly futile :shifty: These bugs and fungus es are slipper buggers.
Last edited by Bretts on August 14th, 2011, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

I give up, I have said what it is, I have not have any one explain why a systemic insecticide gets rid of it. Yet some still claim it to be a fungus.
The needles of the rhaphiophylla are hollow, the thrip is minute and attacks the new growth only.

In the 16 years I have been growing them I have not had one experience of it getting onto or affecting any other tree in my collection that is of the Myrtaceae family. Or any other tree in my collection, but what would I know. I have only been working with them for 16 years. All of the people I have consulted have never said it is a fungus, it is a thrip, but let great minds work to gether, I will work on my trees.

Pup :palm: :?
Last edited by Pup on August 15th, 2011, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I thought I wrote that pretty well but I guess you misunderstood what I was trying to say last night Pup.
Heading out fishing for a few days so don't have time to elaborate much :?
I thought I was agreeing with you but just stating how frustrating these diagnoses can be especially online. I believe Joel was not suggesting that Rogor would solve a fungus but suggesting that what Steven is seeing still has the possibility of being something else that you guys may not have seen over there. I had trouble understanding exactly what you meant on your first post here and that is why I clarified it by pm ;) Seems you are nice and clear now :crikey:
Can't shoot us for being wrong :tounge: :wave:

Return to “Pests and Diseases”