Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Stihl folding "pull" saw

Post by Luke308 »

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has seen these available locally? A member of my club has one, and they slice through branches like butter. Perfect for digs and pruning Yamadori. I have rang my local Stihl dealer here in Adelaide, but he said they are unavailable in Australia. The person I know who has one was given it by a friend of his from Melbourne who works in the Horticultural industry. Who I'm assuming got it locally as I can't find a dealer online who ships to Australia :palm:
The PS30 looks like the best option, but Ive provided a link of the others available also.

http://www.stihlusa.com/handtools/PS30- ... g-Saw.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/handtools/pruning-saws.html

Hopefully someone out there in Bonsai land can help?? :fc:
Thanks
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Stihl folding "pull" saw

Post by bodhidharma »

They are very common here in Melbourne (i have three) although not stihl. The bugger with them is the teeth are so small they are hard to sharpen and blunt easily. A question..advice or experience on sharpening them would be excellent.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
philf555
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, Fig
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by philf555 »

Hi luke308,

Just did a quick ebay search under "folding saws" and came up with quiet a variety to choose from, I have heard good things about the Opinel brand and know their knives last for ever. ALso "Fiskar" does the same sort of folding saw and for the price might be worth a shot. The Fiskars is a pull to cut, push to clear debris. Might do the job.
The more I learn, the less i feel I know
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

I bought a Fiskars saw but it didn't stay sharp for very long. The bext folding saw I have is a Coglans Sierra Saw that I bought on eBay. I just clean the teeth with a brass brush every so often and it just keeps going. Bahco make a really great bigger non folding pruning saw that is razor sharp and is nearly as good as a chainsaw. It had an orange handle and can be slipped on a pole to prune high branches.

Tony
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Thanks everyone :D , I too had done an ebay search and the only "pull stroke" saw was the "Felco 600" Im sure that would be a great saw, but i have my heart set on the Stihl brand after seeing how easily it sliced through branches. I'm talking about a 3" branches in maybe 4 or 5 strokes!!! it just was amazing, like Bougy said, almost like a chainsaw. I really am after a folding saw for ease of storage and that way I can keep it in my kit to take to workshops etc. If anyone can still help, it would be much appreciated!
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

The other thing is the Felco only cuts branches up to 2" whereas the Stihl cuts up to 4 & a 1/2" thick branches, so you can see why I am so keen on that. The hunt continues :reading:
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Have a look at Silky saws as well.

Grant
philf555
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by philf555 »

Ive just contacted my local Stihl dealer and they suggested the model no. may be different here in Australia. They are going to contact their H/O and find out if it is sold in OZ under a different part number. (Im keen on getting one for a project Im working on and this sounds cheaper than a chain saw ;) ) will let you know how i go.
philf555
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by philf555 »

Howdy, just got off the phone with my local Stihl dealer and they said that Stihl Australia doesnt import this particular saw.....HOWEVER they have a foldable pruning saw (same blade) different handle, one is rubber the other is hard (cant remember whos is who :? ) apparently they are the same. Speak to your local Stihl place and ask them to order part number: 00008814110 this is the pruning saw 350mm. Ps they retail for $57. Hope this helps :fc:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I have found gyprock saws work a treat.
http://www.rexel.com.au/products/JAB-SA ... 82064.html
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Joel »

The body is irrelevant. The important thing is the blade quality. It's sometimes cheaper to buy a cheap saw, throw away the blade and purchase a good quality blade than to purchase an expensive saw. Replace the blades regularly because they do not last long and are difficult (read impossible) to sharpen.

The Stihl ones are bought in bulk by TAFE and other horticultural institutes then sold to students. Many trained horticulturists still use them and replace the blades.

Joel
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

philf555 wrote:Howdy, just got off the phone with my local Stihl dealer and they said that Stihl Australia doesnt import this particular saw.....HOWEVER they have a foldable pruning saw (same blade) different handle, one is rubber the other is hard (cant remember whos is who :? ) apparently they are the same. Speak to your local Stihl place and ask them to order part number: 00008814110 this is the pruning saw 350mm. Ps they retail for $57. Hope this helps :fc:
Thanks heaps for that, I actually spoke to the guy that gave the one I was talking about to my friend, and he said that he can get one for me $55 and bring it over next time he's in Adelaide. Since I'm in no rush for it, I thought that was perfect. but after trunk chopping the free trident I got which was mostly deadwood, I can appreciate the quality of a good saw blade. And he said the same thing, he didn't recognise the part number, but he said he can get the exact same one as I had been referring to as cutting through branches like butter.

Thanks again for everyone's effort, I hope someone else can gain from this too :tu:

Return to “Availability of supplies”