MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: New Full Tool Kit - Detailed list of tools for feedback/comments

Post by MJL »

WMC, I love this thread and I can see in your writing the joy you get from your tools.

I too went Kaneshin a few years back ... almost the same selection as you (over two orders) and my joy has not worn off yet. I loved the process of buying them (and the polite follow-up emails in broken English that followed). I enjoyed receiving the parcels and unpacking each tool. I kept the boxes for a few years and only just threw them out .... probably a mistake but I am never going to sell the tools.

Of interest, one day I used some the small scissors on a branch that was too big... the gent at Kaneshin sent me a video on how to tap the 'rivot' with a hammer to re-align the scissors. Ace.

Anyway ... well done ... now that our AUD dollar is charging back up I may soon go back to the well for more tools.

Also - in that last photo - the two pronged root rake (I might be calling it by the wrong name) is brilliant. It is so strong - I have attacked some oversized roots and those prongs have never bent and the other end is great for tamping down moss. It is may favourite tool. (I used a cheaper root rake one day and it bent like a magician's spoon!)

Thanks for the photos.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by WMC »

MJL wrote: June 11th, 2020, 5:59 pm WMC, I love this thread and I can see in your writing the joy you get from your tools.

I too went Kaneshin a few years back ... almost the same selection as you (over two orders) and my joy has not worn off yet. I loved the process of buying them (and the polite follow-up emails in broken English that followed). I enjoyed receiving the parcels and unpacking each tool. I kept the boxes for a few years and only just threw them out .... probably a mistake but I am never going to sell the tools.

Of interest, one day I used some the small scissors on a branch that was too big... the gent at Kaneshin sent me a video on how to tap the 'rivot' with a hammer to re-align the scissors. Ace.

Anyway ... well done ... now that our AUD dollar is charging back up I may soon go back to the well for more tools.

Also - in that last photo - the two pronged root rake (I might be calling it by the wrong name) is brilliant. It is so strong - I have attacked some oversized roots and those prongs have never bent and the other end is great for tamping down moss. It is may favourite tool. (I used a cheaper root rake one day and it bent like a magician's spoon!)

Thanks for the photos.
Yeah I purchased over two orders also.
Was talking to my kids the other day about the fact a family member has a samurai sword on display at their home and it was handed down a few generations. I said to my kids that due to my love of bonsai and authentic Japanese items like that, I hope that long after I’m gone that the tools can be kept in much the same way as a sword. Not sure they get it but the thoughts nice😁
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

WMC wrote: June 12th, 2020, 8:08 am
Was talking to my kids the other day about the fact a family member has a samurai sword on display at their home and it was handed down a few generations. I said to my kids that due to my love of bonsai and authentic Japanese items like that, I hope that long after I’m gone that the tools can be kept in much the same way as a sword. Not sure they get it but the thoughts nice😁
[/quote]

Cool intent - that is indeed what I say to my daughters ...they seem to prefer the idea of their their mums rings or an iPhone. :lol: :palm:

Funny about the Samurai sword... one of my neighbours has one ... that family member you refer to isn't a lawyer by any chance?
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by WMC »

[/quote]Cool intent - that is indeed what I say to my daughters ...they seem to prefer the idea of their their mums rings or an iPhone. :lol: :palm:

Funny about the Samurai sword... one of my neighbours has one ... that family member you refer to isn't a lawyer by any chance?
[/quote]

Haha... no, he is in IT!!
Who knows, iPhones might be collectable one day 🤣
Rob101
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 13

Post by Rob101 »

nice kit WMC, how did you go with the tool wrap, did you get one made or did you buy one ready to go ??

Return to “Availability of supplies”