greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Tools on a budget

Post by greg27 »

As a newbie I have no specific bonsai tools (other than some wire) - I've been getting by with some secateurs and a pruning saw. I don't think I need to go too nuts but a concave branch cutter would be great, and some other things like a trunk splitter and a bender & spreader would be useful in the future.

Anyway, Christmas is coming up - my family does a secret santa with a $75 limit, and we can put in suggestions of what we want. So my question is: if you were just starting out and had just $75, what would you buy and from where? Online is probably best so shipping costs need to be accounted for.

There are some slightly suss-looking kits available on eBay, eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16Pcs-Versa ... 3726475702 - there are similar ones that also include a splitter but these have been out of stock at all sellers for a while now. Something like this could be good as, even if the quality is crap, I could get a feel for what tools I actually need and slowly build up better alternatives if the cheaper ones don't cut it.

Or I could go all-in on a branch cutter which is probably the most pressing need: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OSUKA-Bonsa ... 2902055955

Any other suggestions are much appreciated!
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: Tools on a budget

Post by Matt S »

Hi Greg,

If I were starting out I'd be looking for a branch cutter and some decent scissors. Bonsai Ceramics on Goodwood Rd. has some nice Ryuga tools which fit into your budget. Full disclosure - the guys who owns this store is a friend of mine but I buy wire and pots from him all the time.

Matt.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Perfect, thanks Matt.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I found that I don't use most of the tools in a kit so they are not really value. I buy individual tools as I find I have a need for them. Trunk splitter sound neat but rarely used.
#1 Branch cutter (not the concave blades) - for cutting branches close to the trunk.
#2 Long scissors for trimming thinner twigs.
#3 root shears. Makes cutting roots much easier.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

+ 1 on not needing a trunk splitter early on. I've used mine less than a handful of times, and now i solely grow deciduous i don't even touch it anymore.If you were working in decent numbers of rough stock coniferous material that needed lots of re-styling work then maybe.

I started with a pair of root shears, a pair of scissors for foliage work (that way i'm not using the same ones on roots and branches and spreading disease) and a root hook for re-potting. From there i added in more tools like concave cutters, knob cutters etc as i found that i needed them. Still the most used tools are those three that i started with however.

In my case, with only about a dozen established bonsai and a few dozen smaller starter trees, there really isn't much need for enormous tool sets.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Cheers all, sounds like starting with the essentials and building up as required is the go.

Return to “Availability of supplies”