Die grinder rotary cutter bit suggestions

Where do you get it?
GBarb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Die grinder rotary cutter bit suggestions

Post by GBarb »

Before I go splurging on tungsten cutting chisels like the kaizen bonsai style of cutter, does anyone have any suggestions for normal cutting bits I can get from the hardware store that might also do the trick?

I know the cut won’t be as good, but I’m looking to expand my tool kit on the cheap before I dive right in
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Re: Die grinder rotary cutter bit suggestions

Post by Luke308 »

I bought mine from Bonsai sensation and have used them on prunus and it cut with ease. Just make sure you have the right size collar to fit as the bigger ones require a bigger tool ie not dremmal.

Highly recommend them :tu:
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
GBarb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by GBarb »

I just got a cheap pack of 8 bits for the 1/4” die grinder from bunnos. Tungsten carbide, but obviously not work horse for the $$19 price tag.

There are maybe 4/5 useful but in there tht will serve for now before I go out and splurge
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

GBarb wrote: September 19th, 2020, 1:01 pm I just got a cheap pack of 8 bits for the 1/4” die grinder from bunnos. Tungsten carbide, but obviously not work horse for the $$19 price tag.

There are maybe 4/5 useful but in there tht will serve for now before I go out and splurge
I use a Dremel rather than a die grinder. I have a Kutzall Extreme burr; you can get these from Carbatech and they come in either 1/8" or 1/4" shank so would fit either a Dremel-style tool or a die grinder. It does a good job but would be fairly slow for any large carving job. I also have a set of 10 smaller burrs from eBay for $30 which work pretty well for smaller detail work.

Previously I've used router bits in a Ryobi One+ router - removes plenty of wood but jumps around a bit too much and gets a bit scary.

A spade bit on a drill is good for getting in deep.

I've got a Little Terrier DH on the way that will hopefully allow me to do larger carving jobs using the Dremel so I don't have to go all-out and buy a die grinder.

Return to “Availability of supplies”