Affordable tools

Where do you get it?
Nickbb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Affordable tools

Post by Nickbb »

Just wondering if anyone can advise on an online store to find affordable tools.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Affordable tools

Post by shibui »

I seem to recall this discussion a number of times before.
Don't confuse cheap with affordable.
There are cheap tools that don't cut properly, bend easily or don't last long so they need to be replaced prematurely which means they weren't cheap in the long run.
I know that Japanese bonsai tools are expensive now due to exchange rates and shipping difficulties but good bonsai tools should last a lifetime so even though the initial price may be high it works out cheaper in the long run. Some of the Chinese brands also seem to be good quality.

I have not had to buy tools for many years so not sure who sells what now. Hoping others will drop in with advice.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

+1 for affordable quality!

Also, think you can avoid buying a kit. I've been tinkering with bonsai for 10 years, first purchase was a pair of root scissors, now blunt and loose ... bit rusty and not much use anymore. Since bought a better pair, about $80 and then also branch cutters, same again.

I don't really use either of these much. Be curious to know what you think you need.

I may get voted off the island, but for thicker branches I just use standard gardening sheers.

I don't think you really need much speciality tools when starting out. Recommendation, is to buy locally made pots!!!
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Buy direct from Tian bonsai tools. Fast and free shipping and stainless tools that are sharp as and awesome quality. I would buy more except I already have most tools I need. Very reasonably priced.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Nickbb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nickbb »

Agree with affordable not cheapest.
I will Google that brand thanks.
I was thinking knob cutters would be first on the list and maybe some trunk splitters.
I was hoping to put up a "wanted" in the for sale area but there is a post limit on that thread, which I see the logic behind.
Nickbb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nickbb »

Thanks bougie that stuff is cheaper than I was expecting, I had only looked on Bonsai en
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

I find concave cutters and good bonsai scissors are my most used proper bonsai tools by far. I’m yet to consider trunk splitters, but I suppose that depends on one’s trees and styling decisions.

My most used tool, however, is a simple needle holder. These are cheap - should cost under $10. They are great for wire work, pine needle pulling and jins. They have a built-in locking mechanism, so you can grab onto a bit of wire or bark and it won’t slip.
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Concave cutters are a must for me, use them frequently. Also separate pair of shears for the roots and the thin branches so you aren’t using the same pair and possibly spreading disease. Root hook as well, and a pair of tweezers can be useful for weeding too.

I have used my branch splitters a few times but quite infrequent, but I mainly grow deciduous so not much call for splitting branches. Knob cutters I sometimes use on big scars to smooth them a bit, but nowhere near as much use as concave cutters
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

+1 for concave cutters and fine twig/leaf cutters. It may be useful to wrap brightly coloured electrical tape around the handles, because if you work as messily as me, or knee-deep in grow beds and the like, the black steel tools get lost really easily...

I'm not sure what a needle-holder looks like - a photo please? Where do you find them? Spotlight?

Gavin
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Agree with the others. I've used the knob cutter maybe a few dozen times in nearly 30 years. Branch cutter is used every day.
Trunk splitter is great for doing that but how often do you expect to be splitting branches or trunks? Again it is a tool that only gets used once every few years.
Branch cutter, long scissors for twigs, root shears and wire cutters are the most used tools in my kit.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

GavinG wrote:+1 for concave cutters and fine twig/leaf cutters. It may be useful to wrap brightly coloured electrical tape around the handles, because if you work as messily as me, or knee-deep in grow beds and the like, the black steel tools get lost really easily...

I'm not sure what a needle-holder looks like - a photo please? Where do you find them? Spotlight?

Gavin
IMG_8137.jpg
Something like this

Here’s an eBay link to a cheap pair that look okay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11436263436 ... media=COPY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Promethius wrote: June 20th, 2022, 7:41 pm
GavinG wrote:+1 for concave cutters and fine twig/leaf cutters. It may be useful to wrap brightly coloured electrical tape around the handles, because if you work as messily as me, or knee-deep in grow beds and the like, the black steel tools get lost really easily...

Gavin
IMG_8137.jpg
Something like this

Here’s an eBay link to a cheap pair that look okay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11436263436 ... media=COPY
Ha ha.

I have one of those already, thanks to my Father having been a vet… all kinds of great tools that have been repurposed over the years for all kinds of crazy things from fixing broken animals, broken humans, broken boats, broken houses, etc.

Wish I had thought of it earlier.
--
No idea what I am doing…

Return to “Availability of supplies”