Where do you get it?
Meller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: YTBD
Bonsai Age: 0

Mail order bonsai

Post by Meller »

Probably a silly question… but wont know till i ask.

Apart from our classifieds section, Is there a go-to place people go to for ordering bonsai stock?
What about shipping trees home if i happen to be in brisbane and sydney over the next few months?

I’m in Cairns. Physical nurseries are limited to a tiny selection of bunnings level quality pots, maybe some wire. Definitely nothing bonsai or pre-bonsai.
bubba92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Mail order bonsai

Post by bubba92 »

Meller wrote: December 4th, 2023, 12:38 pm Probably a silly question… but wont know till i ask.

Apart from our classifieds section, Is there a go-to place people go to for ordering bonsai stock?
What about shipping trees home if i happen to be in brisbane and sydney over the next few months?

I’m in Cairns. Physical nurseries are limited to a tiny selection of bunnings level quality pots, maybe some wire. Definitely nothing bonsai or pre-bonsai.
Are you a member of the cairns bonsai society? I just did a quick google search, and it looks like they have a nice little club up there
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I believe there is nominally a quarantine line just north of Brisbane that plants are not supposed to cross but in effect it is not policed so plants can be sent from most of the East coast to Cairns.
Trees travel remarkably well when packed in a dark box. I send most of my Shibui Bonsai stock via Australia Post and rarely have any problems. With pots wrapped in a plastic bag and the tree packed securely in a cardboard box trees that would normally need water twice a day can happily last a week in the box while in transit.
Just be aware that not all the species that grow well in Sydney will do as well in Cairns and vice versa. Maybe stick with tropical species till you get a better idea of what does well in the area.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tgooboon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine & Ficus
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by tgooboon »

Hi Meller,

The struggle is real! I feel your pain. I have bought some trees from Bonsai nursery in Brisbane and shipped to Mackay (halfway to Cairns). I have also done carry on luggage for a small tree and checked in luggage, packed as described below.

There is a website for Parcel Connect - it is the small parcel delivery service for Aramex (used to be fastways) and they deliver to Cairns from Brisbane and even Sydney and Melbourne. You register it online, print out a label then drop it off to one of many places around Brisbane. They deliver fairly quickly up the east coast - like 1-2 days. Or you can use Australia Post - potentially similar timeframe depending on luck. I just put in the calculator and the rates for 5kg - 32cm x 32cm x 62cm box is 19.95. Auspost is $97.05 Express, 44.50 parcel post.

The thing is you need to package up quite well before you send it (to yourself in Cairns). For packing what I have done is: water thoroughly and allow to drain, packing some damp newspaper over the top of the soil in the pot, then wrapping the the pot and top of the soil in cling wrap. Then put the whole thing into a box - hunt around for a suitable box or might have to modify another box. If the box is bigger than the pot you also need to put some packing to stop the pot shaking from side to side. Expect some damage to branches depending on how the delivery people handle the tree, i don't think there is any way to avoid this. The tree and may also be a bit shaken up in the soil if it was recently repotted.

When it arrives, water it well and keep in the shade for a day, semi shade for a few days.

Return to “Availability of supplies”