Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Tool roll recommendations

Post by Joel »

Hi all,

After many years hiatus due to remote field work, I'm back in the game! Many of you won't recognise me as I've been inactive for some time but I'm really looking forward to getting back involved with bonsai and this site.

Anyway, can somebody with more recent experience provide a bit of a run down on tool sets with rolls that are available on the Australian market? I'm hoping to spend under $400. I'm happy to work with any good quality tools and am not loyal to country of manufacture. I understand the pros and cons of various steel types and if stainless are the way to go and my budget doesnt cater for a full set, can slowly add additional tools over time.

What's popular at the moment?

Cheers,
Joel
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Tool roll recommendations

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Joel,
It's been a while indeed but I do remember you from a while back when I first started on this forum. You were an identification guru from memory, if you needed an ID, you were the guy!! Welcome back to bonsai!
In relation to your tool question, I have a leaning towards Kaneshin. Always good quality/craftsmanship and very nice to use on the whole. You probably remember them from back in the day. They can be bought locally but I generally put in an order direct through their website. Very efficient system in place (they are Japanese I guess) that allows them to tally your order and the delivery costs, and the speed of delivery is really quite impressive. I don't use stainless steel but they do offer that as an option and I hear it is also of a good standard. There are several grades/quality of steel available that usually is reflected in the price. I can give you the model numbers of some tools that I like if that helps to narrow it down for you as the range is quite large. I think if you decide not to go stainless you can easily get a decent set of essentials for less than the $400 ... the exchange rate isn't terrible right now either so maybe even stainless?? Anyway, just one option to check out. I'm sure others will have different brands to give feedback. I'm also about to receive a pair of Wazakura scissors in the not too distant future but haven't tried these so can't really give you a recommendation.
Glad to see you back!
:beer:
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

I've got a tool roll that's a literal mixed bag.

I have three cutters from Knipex which I'm very happy with. The latest one recently cut braided stainless steel decking wire without missing a beat. Cuts through 6 gauge copper without issue as well. The smaller version is nicer in the hand and lighter for smaller gauges.

Then I have a Kaneshin concave cutter. I clean and oil this after each use and it recently cut a perfect hole into a pine.

I also have a Kikuwa pair of scissors. They're ok. I've had to hammer them once to get them a bit tighter, they sharpen really easily and I'm quite happy with them.

Finally I have some Dingmu covered branded tools (pliers, root cutters, branch cutter). These are all stainless and all work well.

To sharpen I use the red ezylap available at Bunnings. I oil my tools and pots with camelia oil which I buy in bulk. I clean with methylated spirits spray bottle.

I'm happy with my set because most of the stuff I use the cheaper stainless tools and they do the job fine, but every now and again I need something unique and if I don't have it I'll start shopping for it.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Hey Ryce! Long time no talk.

"Guru" is a bit too kind but I appreciate the flattery! How's things?

The kaneshin tools have had a good name for some ti.e and I really appreciate the way the site explains the subtle variation in tool variants. I think I'm leaning towards stainless now that I've moved to Central Queensland and the humidity is much greater. This does leave me well outside of my budget though. I've got a birthday coming up so I'm inclined to drop some hints and see how I go. I can always add more tools over time. Did you get the Wazakura scissors? If so, do you like them?

That's for adding some product diversity and useful comments, SuperBonSaiyan. I'm a big fan of crean mate for cleaning but metho does wonders on conifer residue. I bought a knife sharpening kit recently which I'd like to try on certain tools but the good ol' ezelap has done wonders on my felcos for very many years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it hey?

Thanks folks!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Joel wrote: February 28th, 2024, 7:16 pm
Did you get the Wazakura scissors? If so, do you like them?
Funny you should mention it. They came in the mail today!
Haven’t used them in anger yet but they do have a nice feel… and that exchange rate is really up there right now! I’ll let you know how they perform. 👍🏼
WZK IG_03.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Availability of supplies”