Where do you get it?
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

Large Training pots

Post by Hornet »

Not so much asking where to get them, more asking what people use. I know people use buckets, poly boxes, wooden boxes and orchid pots. Wondering what else people use? Just picked a few 9l buckets up for 65c each which i have potted up a couple of natives into. What about grow bags, are they worth using?
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Large Training pots

Post by squizzy »

I noticed a heap of cheap kitchen strainers at a 2 dollar shop the other day which looked quite appropriate
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Large Training pots

Post by alpineart »

Hi Hornet , mate i have about 200 plus 400mm grow bags and they have uses for pot plants , not so good for trainers , unless you staple them onto a base . The hold a lot of water so the need more holes punching in and around the bottom . Very unstable and they tend to flop around when moving the trees around even if you roll/fold to tops over several times to reduce the height to 50-100mm, makes them even more unstable thus damaging the roots . Worms and curl grubs seem to thrive inside them and slaters thrive underneath them even on benches .

Have'nt used any for about 5 years now for these very reasons . Far better of to get large plastic pots to 500mm and cut them down in height , drill heaps of holes around the sides, far more stable .Cheaper if you dont have to pay for the pots which i don't .

Cheers Alpineart

Return to “Availability of supplies”