A Little Market Research - Please help if you can

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

A Little Market Research - Please help if you can

Post by dansai »

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a business plan to establish a Bonsai Nursery on the Mid North Coast of NSW with the aim of supplying quality tree stock, tools and other supplies at community markets and in person retail. I have set up 2 surveys on what sort of General Supplies and Tree Stock the bonsai community would like as part of my market research.

It would be great for anyone on the Mid North Coast to respond, but I would also love to get input from the broader community as to what it is people are after. Please feel free to share it with any clubs that you are a part of, or any social groups you may be involved in.

It is a very short survey that will only take a couple of minutes. There is no promotion involved, no ads and no collection of personal information.

Thanks
Dan

General Supplies Survey

Tree Stock Survey
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: A Little Market Research - Please help if you can

Post by GavinG »

Good luck with the venture, Dan, although I doubt that you'll end up making deliveries in your Bentley!

Your questions didn't match my answers, so here goes:

I like growing natives from tube stock, so I can make the trunks interesting, and understand how they grow. So I'd recommend that you stock a range of interesting, mainly local, natives in tubes, with lots that aren't available in the usual nurseries. There will be very little money in it.

Can I suggest that you trial ground-growing some natives, and get some good, solid and interesting trunks relatively quickly. I know Shibui does some, but there's plenty of potential there. In particular, Kunzea ericoides (phylicoides) "Snowman" has great bark, compact growth, interesting natural habits and a tough constitution - an ideal candidate. Also Mels and Cals, carefully selected - small-leafed shrubby ones may not make good trunks, some of the coarser-leaved Mels don't work all that well as bonsai, for me - you will know what thrives in your area. Rainforest trees that we know little about have potential, but often are large leafed - some should be possible. I'm curious.

I'd like to see some good ground-grown Banksia serrata with some interesting angles, not just straight stumpy things. I wouldn't recommend Eucs for ground-growing, because you usually get two massive roots that go down to China, and a dead tree when you dig, but some large-pot fast-grow trunk thickening should get some good results quickly - just make sure they only have two or three shoots that will all grow long, and change the angle each year. I'm not sure about Leptos - they may not dig well unless you put them in a water bath afterwards. Angular clip and grow trunks please, not wavy wired shapes.

It might sound like a lot of work, but to dig, cut back and replant at a different angle should take about ten minutes, once a year - plus water and fertilising.

And charge like a wounded bull for the really good trunks - that way you might even make a living!

Best of luck,

Gavin
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Thanks Gavin for your input. Definitely won't be delivering in a Bently. Years ago when I was doing markets with Orchids I spoke to an established grower who had a couple of races under cultivation and he told me the easiest way to make a small fortune in Orchids was to start with a large one! The same could probably said for Bonsai.

Yep, I am all in for the Native tube stock. Propagation will be a big part of what I do. Not only for Bonsai but for landscape use too, although there will be a focus on the not usually easily found species that show promise for Bonsai.

I have a large area for ground growing so that will definitely be part of the plan too. Should also see show wildlife pruning of some of the stock too. Some stuff I have in the ground seems to be favoured by the local wallabies.

As for Rainforest plants, well that is another kettle of fish. I haven't had much luck with most I've tried. Not only large leaved, many with compound leaves, there also seems a tendency for very straight rapid growth of one shoot at the expense of others. Not so easy for ramification purposes. The obvious ones that work are the Figs and Lilly Pilly's, but I'm getting interesting results with some. Usually the pioneer species that have rapid growth and get branching when in good sun.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

And thank you to everyone that has taken the time to respond. Id still like some more input if anyone is up for it.

Some trends so far,

80% of respondents use a Bonsai nursery for stock and supplies. - may be a little skewed as most respondents are from cities.

Most people like to be able to lift their trees themselves - not too surprising really - with only 20% requiring a forklift to move there trees :shifty:

The vast majority like Australian Native stock with the highest interest being in Tea Trees.

The main supply that people are after is potting mix - again I suppose not too surprising as is consumable.

A close second so far is aluminium wire. And about a 1/3 after copper wire.

And as for pots - 90% love Australian Pots. :aussie:

And thank you for those with encouraging and helpful comments. I'm taking as much on board as possible.

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”