Bonsai nurseries near Melbourne

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
macca66
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Bonsai nurseries near Melbourne

Post by macca66 »

Tien is a gem.
Trevor Loves his azaleas.
JimmyTheSkip
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Currently researching

Post by JimmyTheSkip »

Thanks for posting this. I live in Melbourne and was wondering where I should go to check out pre-bonsai stock. Looks like both places have a very good variety. I might also check out Baloc in the west too.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It has been a while since I checked bonsai nurseries in Melbourne but Collector's corner in Springvale rd is worth a stop while you are out that way at Bonsai Sensation and Bonsai Art.
In the northern suburbs, Orient Bonsai at Reservoir usually has plenty of starters as well as some more advanced trees.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimmyTheSkip
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Currently researching

Post by JimmyTheSkip »

Thanks very much Shibui. I'll be sure to check out Collectors corner. Growing up I remember my mum taking us to garden world and she would buy african violets and impatiens and I would check out the little crazy looking cacti. We moved a way when I was around 12 but lots of good memories. I definitely need to stop in and see how the place has changed.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Bonsai nurseries near Melbourne

Post by Nate.bonsai »

I recommend getting around to all of the nurseries in your region. Each will be different in terms of range, species, young v advanced and quality or style. I’ve previously thought that I’d found the absolute perfect nursery for me and need look no further, only to visit somewhere else and be blown away. So tick them all off your list and then you’ll know where to go.

Also, it would be great if you could post your thoughts and observations from your visits to help others. I’ve found that super helpful when visiting other states and only been given a leave pass with enough time to visit one nursery.

I may have put this in this thread already - but I’m in love with Bonsai Sensation. They have an enormous pre-bonsai/starter area. I was there for more developed trees and was blown away by the amount and quality of their worked trees. All grown properly for bonsai, not merely grown big and then crammed into a bonsai pot - so the roots and branches were all wonderful and didn’t require three years of reconstructive surgery before it could be moved from a giant garden pot.

Not quite the same volume of trees, but I was also highly impressed with Bonsai Art. Similar comment re trees being grown properly, with branch selection and tight foliage, so that they were ready for you to make final selections and you could see the ‘bonsai’ in it straight away.

They were the only two that I could squeeze in, so keen to hear your thoughts if you visit others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”