2020 Australian Plants as Bonsai - symposium and exhibition

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any natives
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: CBS, VNBC

2020 Australian Plants as Bonsai - symposium and exhibition

Post by JenniferM »

Hi all

The APaB symposium is back in Canberra on 29 February and 1 March 2020, together with our annual exhibition.

2020 is the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Australian National Botanic Gardens, where all the APaB events have been held in Canberra.

In keeping with this, there will be 50 display items (bonsai and suiseki) in the exhibition - we're hoping for mostly smaller trees so we can fit them all in the space - otherwise we need to get creative :). And stock trees for both the two 'advanced' workshops (for people with some bonsai experience) and the 'Beginning bonsai with Australian plants' workshop for those with little or no bonsai experience will be representative of species in the Gardens.

The presentation team this year includes:
* Allan Harding from Penjing Austral who will do a presentation highlighting the opportunities penjing offers when working with Australian plants, and will lead one of the advanced workshops'
* Roger Hnatiuk who will lead the other advanced workshop
* Gavin Gostelow , Kevin Ritchie and Rory Archer who will deliver be talking about their experiences working with Australian plants. Gavin and Rory are regular AusBonsai contributors, and
* a team of experienced bonsai growers, including Linda Swift and Anne Dehlsen from CBS who will deliver the 'Beginning bonsai' workshop

With all that and public demos and Gardens walks, it will be a busy, and exciting weekend!

Full details and registration for the symposium, and for CBS members and symposium participants to register trees for the exhibition will be up on the website ( www.cbs.org.au) shortly. A PDF of the symposium brochure and registration form are attached, but if possible please wait till the online registration function is activated to register.
2020 Australian Plants as Bonsai symposium brochure final.pdf
2020 8th APaB Symposium Registration form final.pdf
Symposium registrations close on 20 February, and exhibition registrations are due by 21 February, so there's plenty of time to get organised and register.

Hope to see lots of people here.

Cheers

Jennifer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: 2020 Australian Plants as Bonsai - symposium and exhibition

Post by kcpoole »

Enjoy the weekends activities everyone and hope you all have fun and is a raging success
I will be heading off to europe so will not be able to attend :-( :crybye:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Ian Hutchins
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Goulburn NSW

Post by Ian Hutchins »

Hi Jennifer,
I am doing the Goulburn bonsai calendar today so I will encourage our members , especially our newer members , to consider the beginning bonsai with Australian Plants as a weekend to visit Canberra. After all we are almost sister clubs and have many connections.Building some more would be great.After all Watto keeps on at us about Australian natives - I could be his wing man.

Ian Hutchins
President Goulburn Bonsai
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JenniferM »

Great Ian... I agree the more we can share opportunites the better for everyone! And it's great to have Watto out there pushing the use of Aussie plants. Look forward to seeing you all there.

Sorry you can't make it Ken. Maybe in the future... On current planning the symposim will be back in Canberra in 2024. Next year will be Hobart - a bit later in the year so you get to see the native beeches colouring. Well worth the trip. Will let everyne know where it will be in after that as we lock in locations.

Jennifer
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Hi Jennifer

Thanks for letting us know about the symposium. Would you please let us know as soon as the registration link is working? I'd like to add a link to my newsletter, which I was planning on posting out on the 11th.

Cheers
Mel
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JenniferM »

Hi Mel

Will do. It may be a couple of days, as our webmaster is down the coast looking after his home (safe at the moment but in the middle of one of the fire areas) and the assistant webmaster is learning how to load the info 'on the job' and doing a great job!

We won't have the online registration this year - it will be via a downloadabe word doc, that will need to be emailed back to the APaB mailbox. Will let everyone know exactly how to access the info and register when we have everything in place, hopefully in the next couple of days.

Cheers

Jennifer
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Thanks for the heads up on this Jennifer, I'll let the committee know. (I believe there are a couple who will be making the trip!)

I want to be there too, but have to get a few things settled before knowing for sure I'll be free.

Hope your webmaster's home is safe! These fires have been horrendous. :(
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by gnichols »

Jennifer,
Will there be any sales/retailers at the event?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JenniferM »

Unfortunately no. Because of the venue, we can't host traders. We're taking up all the public hire venues, plus one that isn't just with the activities we have on.

We will have stock trees available for those doing workshops - with a few spare so everyone should be able to find one they like.

The ANBG Growing Friends have a plant sale on on 28 March and the ANPSA usually has one on a week or two either side of that. Both have great native starter stock for sale. They also do spring sales, usually in October.

Keep an eye on the ANBG website for firm dates.

Cheers

Jennifer
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JenniferM »

Hi everyone

Our fabulous webmaster and assistant webmaster have been able to get all information and the online registration up and runnung despite the vaguaries of internet connenction on the south coast at the moment.

So you can access all the informaion about the Symposium and Exhibition, and register, on the CBS website (www.cbs.org.au). Follow the links from the home page.

Our first online rego came in this morning, but cudos for the first rego goes to Quenting from VNBC, who got in by email yesterday.

Rego closes on 20 Feb, but the earleir you get in the better (for our planning)

Cheers

Jennifer
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Thanks so much Jennifer!
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JenniferM »

:bump: :bump:

In just five weeks, the symposium and exhibition will almost be over for another year!

Don't forget to register for the symposium, and maybe register a tree or two in the exhibition while you're on the website. 😀

Registrations for the symposium close on 20 Feb (and payment processed) and for the exhibition, on 21 February.

Hope to see some AusBonsai members there.

Full details and on-line registration are available on the website - www.cbs.org.au.

Jennifer
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JenniferM »

A week can be a long time....

Some of you will know that, apart from the two substantial bushfires buring on the southern edges of the ACT, we've had a major hailstorm rip a path through the city. Apart from damage to cars, residential and retail areas, etc , the storm also did major damage to glass-houses and buidlings belonging to both the CSIRO and the ANBG, which are next to each other at the base of Black Mountain.

The CSIRO has lost years of plant research. And all of the ANBG's glasshouses have been damaged. At the moment they cannot get in to rescue plants because the structures are unstable. They don't know how much of their growing stock they will be able to save, but it probably won't be much, considering the weather we are having.

The building where we normally host the symposium (the Banks Building) also sustained major damage and is out of use till April. But the good news is that we've been able to sort out alternative arrangements for all the activities associated with the APaB weekend and so it is all systems go for a great weekend.

Registrations are coming in and we look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks. There are still at least a couple of places in all workshops, but you probably need to get in quickly for the penjing workshop and the beginners.

Remember registrations or the symposium close on 20 Feb, and tree registrations for the exhiion close on 21 Fen

Jennifer
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

On with the show as they say. Great effort under the circumstances ... would love to attend but alas, can’t make that timing. I am sure it will be a wonderful event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by JenniferM »

Hi all

Just a reminder that you need to get your registraions for the symposium in and payment made by 20 Feb - this Thursday! There are still places available in the Sunday workshop with Roger Hnatiuk.

The Saturday workshop and the Beginning bonsai workshop are fully suscribed, but if you were thinking of joining one of them, you can still register for the symposium, attend the presentations, join the gardens walks and observe workshops. We can also put your name on the reserve list in case someone has to drop out.

So if you've been thinking about participating, get your registration in quickly.

And if you can't make the symposium, we hope you can come to the exhibition. There will be some great examples of Australia plants grown as bonsai. There will also be demonstrations by Steve L and Sisto B at 2pm each day.

We're looking forward to a great weekend, and hope to see you there.

Sorry you can't make it Mark, maybe next year in Hobart?

Jennifer

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”