Kokufu 2020

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Re: Kokufu 2020

Post by wrcmad »

treeman wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:53 am Well I'm convinced....it's possible to have too much ramification.
At this level of bonsai, it isn't all about trying to replicate a natural representation.
The ability and technique is also considered a very worthy and revered quality.
For example, not many are bestowed with the technique and ability of producing ramification as shown in the pyracantha picture above.
The photos of that Pyracantha don't do it justice, and it was an absolute show-stopper that drew a crowd for all the right reasons.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Staggering to the point of ... hard to comprehend the work involved; beyond natural and I don’t mean any disrespect in that comment. Sort of how some computer generated faces look close to real but not quite...

Anyway, breath-taking skills - the leaning white pine multi-trunk, the cascade white pine, the leaning spruce and the forests take my eye. There’s also a pine with a busted trunk that looks cool.

Gotta get me and my family over there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

wrcmad wrote: February 20th, 2020, 4:19 pm For example, not many are bestowed with the technique and ability of producing ramification as shown in the pyracantha picture above.
The photos of that Pyracantha don't do it justice, and it was an absolute show-stopper that drew a crowd for all the right reasons.
Agreed ... they don't do it justice! Would love to see some pics that do, but I think it was exactly the kind of tree you have to experience up close to get a sense of it. Astounding technical application, it was the whole experience of moving around it that added to the "aura". It was sensational... worth the admission!
:beer:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

MJL wrote: February 20th, 2020, 4:38 pm Staggering to the point of ... hard to comprehend the work involved...
I reckon it must be a lifestyle, or a religion ... or something in between ;) . Whatever it is there is no doubt the person reponsible for it was deeply invested. That is the definition of commitment.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I do not envy the person who has to maintain the even watering on that fagus crenata!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

And the last shots from Session 2 ... that will conclude my presentation!
Hope you all enjoyed a peek at my take on Kokufu this year.
IMG_3030B_87.jpg
IMG_3032B_92.jpg
IMG_3034B_95.jpg
IMG_3036B_53.jpg
IMG_3038B.jpg
IMG_3040B_55.jpg
IMG_3041B_102.jpg
IMG_3048B.jpg
IMG_3049B.jpg
IMG_3051B_108.jpg
IMG_3055B.jpg
IMG_3056B_Shohin.jpg
IMG_3058B_Shohin.jpg
IMG_3060B.jpg
IMG_3062B.jpg
IMG_3063B_Shohin.jpg
IMG_3064B_Shohin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Yes please. Along with the prior trees I have highlighted, from this set I'll take the white pines, both the prunus and the Shimpaku .... can you throw in the steak knives too please. I'll work out how to pay in due course, I need to sell my house and then take out a little loan. Oh, I'll also need to put them at my friend's house because alas... I have sold mine to afford the fine trees. :roll:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

wrcmad wrote: February 20th, 2020, 4:19 pm
treeman wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:53 am Well I'm convinced....it's possible to have too much ramification.
At this level of bonsai, it isn't all about trying to replicate a natural representation.
The ability and technique is also considered a very worthy and revered quality.
For example, not many are bestowed with the technique and ability of producing ramification as shown in the pyracantha picture above.
There's no need to try to justify or defend. I understand all that but I don't care about any it. When bonsai has become a show of technique it loses in other more important aspects to me. Many Japanese examples of bonsai have become sterile and plastic. Many are repulsive in my eyes when once I admired them. (I emphasize many - not all) If you like sterile, plastic looking trees then modern Japanese bonsai are for you.
Mike
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

im liking that rose (Rosa banksiae) a hell of a lot
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Matthew wrote: February 21st, 2020, 11:25 am im liking that rose (Rosa banksiae) a hell of a lot
You're not the only one. That bit of paper in the bottom left of the photo indicates it has taken out some sort of prize from the judges as far as we could tell. It was very nice... I've never seen one before.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

treeman wrote: February 21st, 2020, 10:35 am There's no need to try to justify or defend. I understand all that but I don't care about any it. When bonsai has become a show of technique it loses in other more important aspects to me. Many Japanese examples of bonsai have become sterile and plastic. Many are repulsive in my eyes when once I admired them. (I emphasize many - not all) If you like sterile, plastic looking trees then modern Japanese bonsai are for you.
Fair enough.
You are entitled to your opinion. But it is only a mere opinion.
Gives me a chuckle that you have contributed nothing but criticism and disdain to such quality trees.
And to call these trees "repulsive" not only sounds dumb, but gives me a sense that it is not really your true opinion, and instead some sort of underlying echo of past bad experiences or bitterness.
It's a shame, and I wonder if actually seeing these trees in real life might change your assessment?
Greg F
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine & juniper

Post by Greg F »

Another Japanese tradition that I am very passionate about is Nihonto (japanese swords ) and there are collectors that think that over the last few hundred years swords are more flashy and very flamboyant in their details within the blade and they prefer the older more subtle styles of blade. I think that its just a matter of taste to an extent just like in bonsai and the way some tree may seem over the top to some but to me if you truly love the art of bonsai then you can appreciate and admire all well developed trees. Im not a big fan of shimpaku junipers when theres lots of tangled looking dead wood but still love to admire and study the work that goes into them. Plastic , sterile and repulsive is insulting the Japanese masters in my opinion but again its all just opinions isnt it.

Ryceman 3 Im loving this thread and all the tree's your showing us, thanks mate.

Greg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Links to a few more photos ...https://bonsaitonight.com/2020/02/21/pr ... xhibition/

TimS, check out the Chojubai's and the root over rock Trident. And again, I am liking the white pines, particularly the first one noted. :yes:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Thanks for the link Mark, I would have loved to see the Chojubai in person. I see they mention orange flowers which is variety ‘alpina’. I can’t recall seeing on in person while in Japan so I’ll be keen to have my eye out. I’d also love to see a white flowering one too.

Allegedly the red performs better when it comes to ramification, but I can’t say that is based on anything more than a few comments I’ve seen with little to back it up
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Thanks Ryan for sharing your images and your experiences! Very much appreciated.

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”