Vic Native Club virtual exhibition

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elms,ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Vic Native Club virtual exhibition

Post by krittas »

Great idea and some great trees ,
appreciate you sharing it :tu:
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Starfox wrote: May 5th, 2020, 10:00 pm
Gerard wrote: May 5th, 2020, 9:37 am. The club has a very large interstate membership
As a side question, do you know if the club would accept international members as well?

I have often thought about joining for the extra content and with things the way they are here for the foreseeable future I was going to ask my wife for a membership as a bday gift.
I am sure you would be welcomed, I think the webpage has a link for membership Enquiries. Monthly meetings are videod and available to view. Of course there are no meetings at present due to restriction of gatherings but plenty of catch up available
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Can't see why you would not be able to join Starfox. There are Aussie members who are nearly as far away as you are and have the same chance of getting to a meeting.
Send in an application as an interstate member - Spain is another state isn't it?

As Gerard has pointed out all meetings are filmed then put up for members to see what the presentation was about. Great innovation for those of us who are not able to attend in person.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Starfox,
On a different note - I hope you are well and OK in Spain through all these COVID related restrictions.
Our family was lucky enough to be in San Sebastian a couple of years back and we loved it - I know its a different areas to where you are but I can imagine physical distancing is very different throughout Spain compared to back here in Melb and Aus more broadly.
If it is not a too personal question to ask - how are you and your family managing? No drama if you don't want to respond to such a question on a bonsai forum.
Cheers,
Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

MikeK wrote: May 5th, 2020, 10:00 am
SquatJar wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:20 pm Someone bonsai'd a grass tree! I can't believe how good it looks. I've got around ten in pots about 4 years old but was always planning on planting them out, I never thought they'd grow little trunks.

Very very impressed and wondering how long it took to get to this point as they're known for being incredibly slow, Something like 10-15 years before the trunk starts and then only 1cm of trunk each year after that.
From the notes PDF (link in bottom left of the page "Catalogue Exhibition 2020"): "... The Grass Tree is 40 plus years old."

You've only got 36 years to go :)
I missed that little tree SJar and MK .. it is very clever. Reminds me of the thread where Treeman is bonsai'ing a tree fern. ;)
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

Thanks guys for the responses. :yes:

I will shoot off an email to double check but hopefully can register for the upcoming year.
Hey Starfox,
On a different note - I hope you are well and OK in Spain through all these COVID related restrictions.
Our family was lucky enough to be in San Sebastian a couple of years back and we loved it - I know its a different areas to where you are but I can imagine physical distancing is very different throughout Spain compared to back here in Melb and Aus more broadly.
If it is not a too personal question to ask - how are you and your family managing? No drama if you don't want to respond to such a question on a bonsai forum.
Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark,
I don't mind and thanks for asking.
San Sebastian is nice, we had a choice of there or Alicante and chose Alicante mainly as it was considerably less expensive and better weather.
We are managing surprisingly well in what is, I think, week 8 of confinement here. All of us(wife, 2 kids and dog) have stayed healthy and are coping quite well. Basically we are stuck in the house and for now only one person can leave for an essential trip for food or medicine type of thing. No visitors allowed and when you do go out you need to keep your distance, wear masks and gloves and use sanitizer etc. Police are everywhere and even the army are on the streets. We can now also go out an exercise and walk the dog for one hour a day but having a yard means we really don't need to. Not sure what the future holds as they are de-escalating the measures as the statistics improve but my wife was told yesterday that she'll be working from home until September if there are no major set backs. We get all our food and more importantly beer delivered so the only reason to leave is for smokes which is deemed essential and as an added bonus managed to get a pizza place to deliver to our town for the first time since we have lived here.

The kids actually do distance learning anyway from the Charters Towers school in QLD so that has kept things pretty normal for them and they wont lose any of the school year like the kids here in Spain who wont go back until September too. That keeps them fairly busy and keeps me on my toes.
All in all I'm quite happy to stay home and it has given us time to reflect a bit, both the wife and I have chatted about moving back to Oz much sooner than we planned and with a different take on how we want to move forward in the future. Quite enjoy browsing the AU real estate sites.
Definitely looks like nothing is going get back to normal anytime soon though.

Sorry to slide off topic a bit.

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”