Old Bonsai Collection

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
Rob1
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: -

Old Bonsai Collection

Post by Rob1 »

Hello. I've inherited the remnants of my father's bonsai collection. There are about 30 trees, mostly figs, that have been semi trained over a 40+ year period. Sadly I haven't got the skills or the time to do anything other than maintain them (keep them alive!) When I first took them over about 10 years ago, I also had a huge collection of empty pots which I was able to sell at a Bonsai Fair at Auburn about four years ago. Obviously COVID has put a big dampener on our lives and I cannot find any information as to when (or if) this is ever likely to take place again. Today I am seeking your assistance and advice as to the best place to dispose (sell?) these plants. They have good age and structure. I re-potted them about 4 years ago. Are you able to help me or able to point me in a direction where I might get help. I am based in Sydney and would like to sell these plants for a fair price and donate the proceeds to the Macular Diseases Foundation as Dad was afflicted by this in the latter part of his life. I can provide photos to genuinely interested parties.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Old Bonsai Collection

Post by kcpoole »

Where abouts are you in Sydney? Might help people if they are interested
If you want to post some pics of a few of the trees to get an ideas of size then that might help

Re the Market! Who knows when that might happen again due to many reasons but covid is the worst one

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
5thtimesacharm
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by 5thtimesacharm »

I would also be interested. What kind of species do you have? I'd be very interested in some photos?
isitangus3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by isitangus3 »

Couple of options:
-sell here
-marketplace
-gumtree

Let me know if you decide to sell, I’m always on the look for more stock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Firstly well done on looking after them for so long, but also making the decision to part with them.

I think it is hard for most people to part with a loved ones things. Let's face it we all have too much crap in our lives.

Depending on what is important to you, I'd post where ever you can, where ever you have the time and energy for. Selling can be a tiresome process!

Post some here, see what happens. Concurrently on Gumtree / Facebook Marketplace etc.

Being new to Bonsai, I've never sold Bonsai, but I generally have found Facebook (if you are on it) a really good medium for selling other things.
--
No idea what I am doing…

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”