Ficus Bonsai

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Re: Ficus Bonsai

Post by sreeve »

Adding my tuppence....
I have a copy of Jerry Meislik's book and it is truly a great read.

Thanks to the controversy of this posting, I bought a copy of Leong's book and now that I have finished it - well I can only say that I thouroughly enjoyed it and learned a lot from it.
Well done Leong - well done Aussie.
It makes me glad to see such a great book written by an Aussie.

I found the direct relevance to Australia and our climate refreshing after reading so many European or North American books and articles.
The pictures and text is inspiring and encouraging

It is not often I can read a Bonsai book word for word without getting bored and flicking through the pages.
I had no such trouble with this book

Totally captivating and well worth every cent. Thanks for taking the time to write it Leong

Regards
Steve
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by marleeney »

I thoroughly agree with all you have said Steve a great easy read. Leong is truly a master at bonsai and a very nice person to meet as well
Marleey :D :) :P
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

HEAR HEAR! runs a great website and forum too! very educational. :D
Regards Antonio:
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

Post by Dave54 »

Hi Guys,
for what it's worth, I consider Leong to be a true BONSAI ARTIST and although outspoken, backs every word up with magnificent work to prove that his techniques work on not only figs, but he has the best collection of Pines that I have seen in this country.
Pup, I admire and respect your work, but people who hang off your every word should ignore your negative comments on this occasion. The book is a MUST READ for any Australian bonsai enthusiast :!: :!: :!: :!:
cheers
Dave
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

My opinion only all others are entitled to theres
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Pup wrote:My opinion only all others are entitled to theres
Max Candy of the Fig Factory wrote a lot about Ficus in Bonsai Down Under. Very good as well as helpful.

Leong also wrote very good articles on Junipers in early editions of Bonsai Down Under.

Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi Pup,

I am amazed you have heard of Max Candy; his fame spread further than I knew. He was an absolute pioneer of the use of Port jackson Figs in Australia, often aided and abetted by a few beers and a few good friends. He was known to defoliate a fig 4 or 5 times a year and to impatiently dig up things he had only planted a few months before to see what the roots where doing.

He was an amazingly inventive and curious person. His passing a few years ago was very sad but one of his last creations is in the national collection and his grandson is also doing a bit of bonsai. The aforementioned fig was placed on his coffin during the funeral ceremony and then donated to the NBPCA by his family.
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Dave54 wrote: The book is a MUST READ for any Australian bonsai enthusiast :!: :!: :!: :!:
I agree a good read but I personally wouldn't buy it...but that may be because I'm not a huge fan of figs and I live in a frost prone area :)
Last edited by Scott Roxburgh on May 13th, 2009, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

its interesting to see those who back the book vs pup live in the area the book is written for...
Its doesn't matter where the book or article is written, if it doesnt match your climate you will need to make changes and your own decisions on what to attempt and what not to.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Just to put it straight I said I would not buy it. It has some useful information, for Sydney and humid climates. The Ficus rubiginosa that grows like a weed is still frost sensitive. Also subject to sun burn in a hot dry climate.
So those trees from China and surrounds might find it hard to do as well. In the same position. The information I have gleaned on Ficus from Max Candy and Dorothy and Vita Koreshoff is of much more use to me. I have read articles by Leong Kwong, he has a lot of knowledge.

I just said I would not buy his book as I stated his disclaimer says for his area and conditions.
All of this came about as I said that I agreed with Anttal 63 about defoliation. A member came back with a reply and a BUN fight started.
If the book helps those in the need of it BUY it. There are books that I consider worth buying and those I do not.

Bonsai Masterclass by Craig Coussins is one I would not buy. Also another by a person who is held in high regard by some Australians. As for hanging my every word that is there prerogative not my command.

Pup

brenden
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by brenden »

I haven't participated in this or many forums for a while. A new dad a month ago has meant my life has been dedicated to a little bungle of joy! (and lack of sleep!!!)

I guess it is fair to say the book does not suit Pup because of his climate, location and probably because Pup doesn't seem to grow figs. This is fair enough and please correct me if I am wrong, Pup :)

It would be like me buying a book on growing palms. I don't like palms and have no need for them, so no need for such a book.

I guess the concern amongst many of the book's fans was that the initial review, and particularly comment "I have read it I would not buy it" seemed to indicate that Pup was suggesting the book was poor. I don't think this is what he meant.

I guess for future reviews anyone could be very open as to the reason why they won’t buy a product, ensuring to distinguish if that buying decision is based on relevance for them personally, or by the quality of the product.

Pup - keep reviewing! We need more people to publish their thoughts.

Cheers,
Brenden
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

You hit the nail on the head thank you Brenden. I hope I have not kept you hanging.

Congratulations :D commiserations :P your time is no longer your own enjoy it while you can it is wonderful.
I am starting over with a couple of great grandies in the last 6 months

brenden
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by brenden »

Thanks, Pup. And GREAT grand kids - wow! I bet you have a big jar of candy and cookies!

You have the right to spoil kids as a grand parent. As a GREAT grand parent you have the right to go crazy on the spoil factor!
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

brenden wrote:Thanks, Pup. And GREAT grand kids - wow! I bet you have a big jar of candy and cookies!

You have the right to spoil kids as a grand parent. As a GREAT grand parent you have the right to go crazy on the spoil factor!
But I eat all the lollies thats why I'm cuddly as they say. :lol: Pup

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”