Bonsai

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Bonsai

Post by Pup »

Its raining out west. So I have been doing some re reading.
A very interesting book ( Simon & Shusters guide to Bonsai ) edited by Victoria Jahn, Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
It is written by Gianfranco Giorgi. It covers the usual subjects very well goes into the history a bit further than most.
One very interesting chapter covers the physiology of the tree. Roots Trunk and Branches and Leaves.
There are coloured drawings explaining the make up of the bark and the roots. Also the make up of the buds.
It also covers Hormones Fertilisers watering. It also covers .Size classifications. Classifications by the number of trees in a container, also the number of trunks on the same tree. It covers the styles well with no fantastic trees that want to make you go out with the cutters. Then Genera is covered well with 150 species and 100 full colour pics. Being written in the north it covers indoor as well as outdoor. What makes it different though is it has a colour graph and text at the side of each tree explaining the shade re potting in general pruning wiring feeding and water requirements. All in all well worth it ,it is
smaller than an A5 paper size so it is a handy pocket sized book. I would recommend this book to any one that needs agood book. :D Pup

ISBN 0-671-73488-1
Last edited by Pup on December 10th, 2008, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Bonsai

Post by Bretts »

Cheap enough to buy from USA but for some reason postage is a killer
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Bonsai

Post by Pup »

soltan wrote:Cheap enough to buy from USA but for some reason postage is a killer
Yes it is a bloody killer I missed the good rates when I paid my subscription to the BCI. Now with the dollar where it is,it is going to cost more than the mag for air mail I might wait. Till the dollar goes back up. :)
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”