Barrington Chee+

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
Robert J. Baran
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Phoenix

Barrington Chee+

Post by Robert J. Baran »

I've been able to compile just a little bit about this teacher, but I need more dates and details, please:

Barrington Chee, Australian, in 2008 was in Goonellabah, an eastern Lismore suburb, NSW, about 211 km south of Brisbane.  The Wollongbar Garden Club hosted a Bonsai Talk & Demonstration in June 2008 with Barrington.  Elaine and Barrington Chee did half-day workshops at the Coffs Harbour club (about 390 km south of Brisbane) in April 2020.  From 2014-18 Barrington was Supervisor of the Fine Arts Pavilion at the Lismore Showgrounds.

A Japanese Red Pine originally owned in the 1970s by Barrington was then first styled by John Naka in 1975.  The bonsai was next given to Geoff Henderson who cared for it until ill health prevented him from providing the care needed, so about the year 2010 it was donated to the National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia.  During a visit Down Under by Ryan Neil in 2013, he was asked to restyle the tree.

Maxine Chee was born in Sydney, NSW, in 1965, a very successful student at High School.  In 1984 she studied Industrial Arts at University and later in 1986 completed the Horticultural Certificate in the Credit Grade at Padstow T.A.F.E, succeeding this course full time.  In 1987 Maxine becomes a Team Leader in horticulture for the City of Hurstville, her specialties being the major flower displays of the Central Business District.  At the age of 11 Maxine showed great interest in the propagation of Japanese Black Pine seed that her parents had brought back from Japan -- today these pines have come to fruition on her parents' property in the Northern Rivers and are renowned for their outstanding quality and size, as featured in The Bonsai Journal of Australia, April 1976, pg. 20.

Sally Pang Rippingale, triple-certified nurse and member of Toastmasters International spoke in August 2012 at Darling Harbour, Sydney, about her father's penjing collection which was displayed in the popular Modern China Cafe, NSW, in the 1950s.  Sally brought along photos of the collection she inherited, talked about Chinese Penjing vs. Japanese Bonsai and explained how her father connected with penjing technician Barrington Chee.

("Losing our bonsai heritage," Ausbonsai, Oct. 19, 2019; "Around Town community notices," Lismore echo, 4th Jun 2008; "Fine Arts 2014 Schedule"; "Wattos Bonsai Blog," May 23, 2013; "Bonsai Pots"; "Illawarra Bonsai Society Newsletter 2010, No. 9," October, pg. 6; "Chinese Garden Speaker Series -- August 2012," July 21, 2012)

Any memories from students? What about Sally's father? Thank-you.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Barrington Chee+

Post by Grant Bowie »

Elaine and Barrington son, sorry I have forgotten name, was engaged to be married and in the most tragic circumstances, she and her brother were killed on the wedding day when the brother, a pilot, hit electricity wires while flying his sister to the wedding in a navy? Helicopter. Since then, Elaine told me he had moved to London and was in a high position in the medical profession, not sure what speciality.
I have known Barrington and Elaine since about age 15 and I am now 65. Both their healths have declined over the years and he has donated 2 trees, one black pine and one red pine to the NBPCA. I was the foundation curator of the collection but retired in 2013. I was so pleased to see that they had donated the trees as they were very early leading lights in Bonsai in Australia. And now their trees are on semi permanent display to the Australian Public.

I hope their health last a long time, they are a wonderfull and inseparable couple. Elaine frequently calls Barrington Father.(Of the children I presume).
It is a delight to see them when they make it to an event.

Cheers,

Grant Bowie
Robert J. Baran
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Phoenix

Re: Barrington Chee+

Post by Robert J. Baran »

So what are the answers to the usual questions: when and how did Barrington (and Elaine?) learn about bonsai? what clubs and/or demos did they teach at? what are their favored specimens for bonsai? did they have any writings published, articles or books? who are some of the students/teachers/artists they taught or influenced? what else is notable/remarkable about the Chees?

Who was Sally Pang's father and what is his story?

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”