Bonsai Tonight

Seen something in print or on TV? Have a good book to review? Know something others don't? Post here.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Bonsai Tonight

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

For those that haven't yet discovered this site, it is definitely worth a look as it features some of the best bonsai in the USA.

http://bonsaitonight.com/

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ginkgo, Japanese Maple, Stewartia
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Bonsai Tonight

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Hey great site. I liked the bonsai alot, but I have to admit I'm not much a fan of penjing.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ginkgo, Japanese Maple, Stewartia
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by Kyushu Danji »

That is really awesome..it reminds me of a japanese woodblock print with wind swept trees clinging off some cliffs.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

This is highlighting three point display. It is very disappointing, in quite a few of them are contradictory to the correct placement of trees and accessories.

When you place trees and accessories they should form a scalene triangle,and flow together, not apart as some of them do.
I will not tell you which ones, but have a look and tell me. Which ones do flow as they should, and those that do not, also no part of the tree should touch the stand or edge of the pot.

Just my observation :2c: ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

Pup wrote:This is highlighting three point display. It is very disappointing, in quite a few of them are contradictory to the correct placement of trees and accessories.

When you place trees and accessories they should form a scalene triangle,and flow together, not apart as some of them do.
I will not tell you which ones, but have a look and tell me. Which ones do flow as they should, and those that do not, also no part of the tree should touch the stand or edge of the pot.

The second last and the fourth from last are wrong. Is that right :?:
Last edited by nealweb on February 13th, 2011, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Mojo Moyogi wrote:For those that haven't yet discovered this site, it is definitely worth a look as it features some of the best bonsai in the USA.

http://bonsaitonight.com/

Cheers,
Mojo
I couldn't agree more, some of the best trees in the US are from BIB members. The techniques displayed (from both Boon and other BIB members) alone warrant following Jonas' Blog.

Jonas was recently in Australia (Sydney/Gold Coast) with work, so I met him in Sydney took him around to see some of the best parts of Sydney including some nurseries. He really is a great bloke, doing the blog primarily to further bonsai education in the west.
Pup wrote:This is highlighting three point display. It is very disappointing, in quite a few of them are contradictory to the correct placement of trees and accessories.

I had a look Pup, and I couldn't pick which ones. The ones with Weeping trees?

I am no professional when it comes to formal displays, but am very interested. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Scott.
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

nealweb wrote:

The second last and the fourth from last are wrong. Right :?:
Yeah, I can see that too. Good work Neal.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Now have another look at them bearing in mind the scalene triangle for a three point display. Then also look at the display with just two points.

The look at numbers 3-4-5 7-9-11. What I have said is what I see and what I have been taught as for display.

With also the emphasis, on making the viewer look more critically, at the display. You see the subtleties of the placement of the objects, for a better display.

I have been berated in the past for my comments on Shows, when I have pointed out. That nice Shows can be better shows, if some thought is put into correct display.
With the proper placement of accents, an accent should never be on the same stand as a single Bonsai. Accents are aloud in Shohin stands with the trees.

Such as all trees on a stand, or at least a bamboo mat to separate it from the table surface. The flow of the objects together not apart.
When Shohin are displayed, no part of the tree is touching the stand, or any part of it, or pot obscured by the stand. If it touches the shelf above it is too big for that stand.

Cheers Pup, just my :2c:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I have to agree that the displays at the end of the link are not right. I can't put it into the same words as Pup only that they seem very unbalanced? Some great trees though :cool:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.

Return to “Bonsai in the Media & History of Australian Bonsai”