Olive slabs

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Olive slabs

Post by greg27 »

A while back I chainsawed an olive flat and noticed it had an interesting pattern to the wood. Since then I've tried to cut a slab off of the larger olives that I've dug to one day use for display purposes.

I finished up these three during lockdown. My chainsawing is pretty rough so after I chainsaw the slab off (and leave it to dry) I do a lot of planing to get things flat and level, then some sanding, and then finish with tung oil which does a good job at bringing out the patterns in the wood without making it too shiny.

For sanding these slabs I used a random orbital sander with whatever discs I had in the shed (lockdown and all...) which ended up being 40, 60 and 240 grit - a winning combination! For the sides I used a Dremel to sand off the sharp and loose bits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austindrake
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Olive slabs

Post by austindrake »

Very lovely wood, olive is. This is where I hope to one day put my woodworking skills to good use - nice display stands and slabs. Now just need to give it 5-10 years before anything I own is nice enough to warrant a stand of some kind...
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Not sure if you would consider but I use a rig to help me control the chainsaw better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
isitangus3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by isitangus3 »

Beautiful slabs and features amongst those!

I’m just scared of the olives you’re digging if they’re the bits you’re chopping off!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”