[Tutorial] How to build a timber bonsai bench

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: [Tutorial] How to build a timber bonsai bench

Post by melbrackstone »

Hubs set up shelves for me using 50mm galvanised grid with turned up edges. It allows air movement and light to penetrate. It does dry out faster than timber, so if you're wanting humidity you'll have to use gravel-filled trays or misters.
JimmyTheSkip
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Currently researching

Post by JimmyTheSkip »

Very good to know. Thanks. Currently mine are just sitting on 2 planks on top of blocks so anything is an improvement.
MikeK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MikeK »

JimmyTheSkip wrote: January 10th, 2024, 1:55 pm Very good to know. Thanks. Currently mine are just sitting on 2 planks on top of blocks so anything is an improvement.
watched a lot of youtube video's over the holiday period and one thing I noticed is that a lot of the big name Japanese pro's (Kimura, etc.) are using planks on top of Besser blocks for benches and beer crates for individual trees in their 'backyard' (i.e., the non public sections of their nurseries) so you're in good company :)
JimmyTheSkip
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Currently researching

Post by JimmyTheSkip »

MikeK wrote: January 11th, 2024, 6:45 am
JimmyTheSkip wrote: January 10th, 2024, 1:55 pm Very good to know. Thanks. Currently mine are just sitting on 2 planks on top of blocks so anything is an improvement.
watched a lot of youtube video's over the holiday period and one thing I noticed is that a lot of the big name Japanese pro's (Kimura, etc.) are using planks on top of Besser blocks for benches and beer crates for individual trees in their 'backyard' (i.e., the non public sections of their nurseries) so you're in good company :)
If only I had the bonsai skill of Mr Kimura. I'm going to Japan in April and hoping to check out a few bonsai related places. I'll have my boys with me so I won't be able to spend hours there but I think I could convince then to come along in between Disneyland and Universal Studios.

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”