Cheap Bonsai Bench

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
Aquaman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples
Bonsai Age: 0

Cheap Bonsai Bench

Post by Aquaman »

A few years ago I helped a friend remove an old deck.

In exchange for my labour he gave me a load of the boards and stainless decking screws.

This week I finally got around to using the boards to make a new bench for my seedlings.

I used Besser blocks from Bunnings ($3.60 each) for the supports and some treated pine to hold the decking board panels together.

The bottom section is 4m long.

The wooden panel sections lift off in 3 separate pieces so that I can move it to oil the deck once a year.

I was surprised at how sturdy the bench is given that the boards are just resting on the blocks.

I already had the pine and terracotta paint, and the decking was free. So total cost was just $32.40 (9 x $3.60).

Definitely not an original idea, but I am very pleased with the result.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Cheap Bonsai Bench

Post by MJL »

Thanks for the post Aquaman. You've convinced me to get off my proverbial and do something similar. I have seen numerous Besser Block-type shelves and they seem to work well. Yours looks good.

I'd love a few nursery style, galvanised shelves (and a shade cloth set-up) but the funds don't stretch that far at present - better your solution. :yes:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Aquaman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Cheap Bonsai Bench

Post by Aquaman »

MJL wrote: October 25th, 2019, 9:55 am Thanks for the post Aquaman. You've convinced me to get off my proverbial and do something similar. I have seen numerous Besser Block-type shelves and they seem to work well. Yours looks good.

I'd love a few nursery style, galvanised shelves (and a shade cloth set-up) but the funds don't stretch that far at present - better your solution. :yes:
My original plan was to build a Japanese style bench with some nice ornate legs, but lack of time and money meant I ended up with this cheap and practical solution.

Good luck with your build. I look forward to seeing some pictures.

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”