Buying pots in Japan

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
Rolf
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers, Natives, Elms
Bonsai Age: 32
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop Inc Perth WA, BSWA Perth WA

Re: Buying pots in Japan

Post by Rolf »

Jb1 wrote: November 10th, 2019, 6:21 am Rolf,
I bought 6 pots from a weekly Sunday market in the Osaka castle precinct. I air freighted them to Australia for $80-100 AUD. One of the pots, a free form tray, sustained a small fracture. The only down side, as it turned out, was the maker’s marks are Chinese not Japanese. 8-)
Jb1
Thanks Jb1.....so caution is warranted!! The trouble is we cannot read chinese nor japanese !!!!! :whistle: ;)
So we're relying on there honesty!!? Something to keep in mind!
Cheers
Rolf
Nature does always better! ;)
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Hi Rolf,

Probably worth getting familiar with looking at chops, even if you can't actually read them! There are so many that you won't be able to know them all, but if you know particular potters/kilns that you like then at least being able to identify those chops can help you. That way if you are buying pots at a nursery you can ask if they have specific pots you like.

For instance my favorite pots generally tend to be made by a potter under the name Koyo, now taken over by his son and renamed Juko. Their work tends to be quite recognisable, even without having to check for a chop mark, due to the style of their glazes. When i am in Omiya next year i will be looking specifically for Koyo pots along with some other potters and kilns that i gravitate towards.

This link is a very useful resource for checking chop marks against, https://japanesebonsaipots.net/chop-and ... -resource/ but there are so many that trying to do it while inspecting pots will be a nightmare. Very useful after the fact once you're home and have some time to sift through it though. You could take a screenshot of the chops of the potters or kilns that you like and keep them to reference back to while you are over there

Tokoname is not a by-word for quality; the region is better known for making teapots and toilets than bonsai pots. Remember that no single potter or Kiln produces only high quality work. Just like any business, they will produce a range of quality and at a range of prices. There are cheaper mass produced pots out of Tokoname, as well as high quality work too.

Some of the best, and oldest pots don't even have any maker's marks on them, so don't feel that just because it has a chop on it it is somehow better; though those pots are likely outside most people's budgets! In the end, over and above all other considerations, my recommendation would be to buy pots that you like and will actually use. Pot collections are great and all, but they still take up space even without trees in them!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

TimS wrote: November 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm Probably worth getting familiar with looking at chops, even if you can't actually read them! There are so many that you won't be able to know them all, but if you know particular potters/kilns that you like then at least being able to identify those chops can help you. That way if you are buying pots at a nursery you can ask if they have specific pots you like.
^ This 100% :yes:
Know what you are buying before you hand-over your hard-earned.
As Tim says above, a lot of the potters are recognisable at a glance - the chop is merely confirmation.
Know what it is worth before doing the same - just because you are buying in Japan does not necessarily make it a bargain.
Rolf
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers, Natives, Elms
Bonsai Age: 32
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop Inc Perth WA, BSWA Perth WA

Post by Rolf »

TimS wrote: November 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm In the end, over and above all other considerations, my recommendation would be to buy pots that you like and will actually use. Pot collections are great and all, but they still take up space even without trees in them!
Hi Tim,

Thank your very much for your reply and encouragement, so I may have to study some of my favourite potters!! :palm: ;)

Totally agree with your last comment above!!! I'm not into collecting but using my pots I'll acquire!! :tu:

Thanks again.

Sent PM

Cheers
Rolf
Nature does always better! ;)

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”