Buying pots in Japan

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
Rolf
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers, Natives, Elms
Bonsai Age: 32
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop Inc Perth WA, BSWA Perth WA

Buying pots in Japan

Post by Rolf »

Hi all,
I would like to hear from all the well experienced Japan travelers where to buy best pots in Japan??
Like in Tokoname, Nagoya or nurseries, markets, festivals etc.....
Thank you very much for your time.
Cheers
Rolf
Nature does always better! ;)
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Buying pots in Japan

Post by TimS »

I’ve purchased pots at a shohin nursery in Kyoto when I was there, they were very pleasant to deal with. Transporting the back in hand luggage was easy but posting them back would be expensive and time consuming. Of course if you're buying up a large number then it makes financial sense to post, but for a couple of souvenirs then just wrap them up in your bags.

I have a large tray I got recently here in Melbourne that I shudder to think what the freight costs would have been from Japan.

I’m going back to Japan next year and visiting Tokoname and Omiya. I’ll do the same as last time and bring pots back in hand luggage
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Dark_Forest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Dark_Forest »

Same as Tim here, I think we must have been to the same nursery. I purchased two smaller pots (in "Pot Shot" thread) for 3000 Yen each and brought them back in my luggage. Wish I got more!
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

I have travelled Japan extensively over the last 25 years, and it has always been my experience and opinion that the best pot bargains to be had are in the 2nd-hand market, for a number of reasons:

Firstly, like anything brand-new, you will pay a premium.
Secondly, the sellers of second-hand pots are trying to offload excess or unwanted inventory, in used condition - this forces them to reduce prices in competition with the brand-new market.
Thirdly, the second-hand market contains pots made by potters who no longer produce from their kilns, meaning they are often more desirable on a personal level (like my own personal fetish for Yamaaki pots), or more desirable on a collectible level due to their increasing rarity.
Lastly, if they are undamaged (without chips or cracks) they are as good as the day the came out of the kiln, because good pottery does not deteriorate with time.

Given the above points, where do you start looking?

If you happen to be in Japan, I would point you to either the sales tables at big events such as Kokufu (I have scored some bargains here),
or, the excess stock the nurseries have for sale. For example, last year there were some absolute bargains to be had in Omiya - to give a couple of examples, Fuyo-en was off-loading excess Koyo stock, which was actually commissioned stock, so carried the Foyo-en counter-stamp on the bottom of the pots... absolute bargains. Also, Mansei-en was selling hundreds of excess pots at absolute bargains, and I picked up a nice Ittouen. However, you are very limited by your hand luggage weight and dimensions - forget about sourcing big pots due to this limitation.

If you travel to Tokoname - a trip very worth-while, you will be looking at brand new stock, which costs comparatively more than I'm willing to pay for. Although I love visiting Tokoname and recommend the trip to anyone, I balk at the prices the kilns are asking for their wares. The best bet in Tokoname is the warehouses like Kataoka, where they sell of excess stock of other kilns at cheaper prices.

Surprisingly, some of the best bargains I have had in terms of quality, collectible Tokoname pots have been on the Japanese online auction sites (I once picked up a nice Tofukuji for AUD$30, which was selling at the Kokufu tables for AUD$1100). Even including shipping to Australia, some of these auction buys have been absolute bargains. If you are after large pots (40cm+) then ship by sea for a significant cost saving. However, over the last few years as the AUD/USD exchange rate has deteriorated, the Americans have pushed prices sky-high, meaning bargains are increasingly difficult to find online.
Rolf
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rolf »

wrcmad wrote: November 6th, 2019, 11:33 pm I have travelled Japan extensively over the last 25 years, and it has always been my experience and opinion that the best pot bargains to be had are in the 2nd-hand market, for a number of reasons:

Firstly, like anything brand-new, you will pay a premium.
Secondly, the sellers of second-hand pots are trying to offload excess or unwanted inventory, in used condition - this forces them to reduce prices in competition with the brand-new market.
Thirdly, the second-hand market contains pots made by potters who no longer produce from their kilns, meaning they are often more desirable on a personal level (like my own personal fetish for Yamaaki pots), or more desirable on a collectible level due to their increasing rarity.
Lastly, if they are undamaged (without chips or cracks) they are as good as the day the came out of the kiln, because good pottery does not deteriorate with time.

Given the above points, where do you start looking?

If you happen to be in Japan, I would point you to either the sales tables at big events such as Kokufu (I have scored some bargains here),
or, the excess stock the nurseries have for sale. For example, last year there were some absolute bargains to be had in Omiya - to give a couple of examples, Fuyo-en was off-loading excess Koyo stock, which was actually commissioned stock, so carried the Foyo-en counter-stamp on the bottom of the pots... absolute bargains. Also, Mansei-en was selling hundreds of excess pots at absolute bargains, and I picked up a nice Ittouen. However, you are very limited by your hand luggage weight and dimensions - forget about sourcing big pots due to this limitation.

If you travel to Tokoname - a trip very worth-while, you will be looking at brand new stock, which costs comparatively more than I'm willing to pay for. Although I love visiting Tokoname and recommend the trip to anyone, I balk at the prices the kilns are asking for their wares. The best bet in Tokoname is the warehouses like Kataoka, where they sell of excess stock of other kilns at cheaper prices.

Surprisingly, some of the best bargains I have had in terms of quality, collectible Tokoname pots have been on the Japanese online auction sites (I once picked up a nice Tofukuji for AUD$30, which was selling at the Kokufu tables for AUD$1100). Even including shipping to Australia, some of these auction buys have been absolute bargains. If you are after large pots (40cm+) then ship by sea for a significant cost saving. However, over the last few years as the AUD/USD exchange rate has deteriorated, the Americans have pushed prices sky-high, meaning bargains are increasingly difficult to find online.
Thank you so much for your info wrcmad. Very much appreciated !!!!! :tu: ;)
Can't wait to get over there!! :D

Cheers
Rolf
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Worth noting that sea freight can take extended periods of time. I’ll haven’t sea freighted anything before, but friends have and it took 2-3 months for their items to arrive.

I’ll sea freight if I find large pots that can’t be put in carry on. My weight limit for carry on is 10kg, so I’ll take bubble wrap, empty the bag out and jam as much as I can into that.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

wrcmad wrote: November 6th, 2019, 11:33 pm Surprisingly, some of the best bargains I have had in terms of quality, collectible Tokoname pots have been on the Japanese online auction sites
wrcmad, do you mind posting what auction sites you use? I haven't had much luck in the past
Life's too short for boring pots
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

SquatJar wrote: November 7th, 2019, 7:32 pm wrcmad, do you mind posting what auction sites you use? I haven't had much luck in the past
PM'd
Jb1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, maple, elm
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by Jb1 »

Hi Rolf,
I purchased a number of pots from a bonsai market adjacent to Osaka castle. Plenty to choose from. Reasonably priced. Unsure where they originated from. I sent them home by air with no worries.
Jb1
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

Kinbon in Kyoto had a three-storey warehouse with pots and stands from all over Japan and China. They foam wrapped my selections into a tailor-made sturdy suitcase sized cardboard box for me to bring back on the plane. Koju-en shohin bonsai nursery is nearby and also has many smaller pots. The service at every bonsai nursery, pot supplier, show and street market that I visited was kind and helpful. Ash
Rolf
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rolf »

Jb1 wrote: November 8th, 2019, 5:41 am Hi Rolf,
I purchased a number of pots from a bonsai market adjacent to Osaka castle. Plenty to choose from. Reasonably priced. Unsure where they originated from. I sent them home by air with no worries.
Jb1
Hi Jb1,
Thanks for your reply.
When have you been to Japan and what was the market called, can you still remember???
Did your pots arrive in one piece?? :whistle: And how big where they??
Cheers
Rolf
Rolf
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rolf »

Ash wrote: November 8th, 2019, 8:18 am Kinbon in Kyoto had a three-storey warehouse with pots and stands from all over Japan and China. They foam wrapped my selections into a tailor-made sturdy suitcase sized cardboard box for me to bring back on the plane. Koju-en shohin bonsai nursery is nearby and also has many smaller pots. The service at every bonsai nursery, pot supplier, show and street market that I visited was kind and helpful. Ash
sent PM! ;)
Jb1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jb1 »

Hi Rolf
PM sent
Jb1
Rolf
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rolf »

Jb1 wrote: November 8th, 2019, 7:35 pm Hi Rolf
PM sent
Jb1
Sorry mate didn't come through!! ? :?
Jb1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jb1 »

Rolf,
I bought 6 pots from a weekly Sunday market in the Osaka castle precinct. I air freighted them to Australia for $80-100 AUD. One of the pots, a free form tray, sustained a small fracture. The only down side, as it turned out, was the maker’s marks are Chinese not Japanese. 8-)
Jb1

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”