Janet Selby's 'Bushfire' Container

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
Padawan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The live ones
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Janet Selby's 'Bushfire' Container

Post by Padawan »

:gday:
Hope everyone is doing okay as the 'crazy' continues.
As the fortunate recipient of Janet's evocative container from the Ausbonsai market auction in March, I knew I had the perfect tree to match it.
I figured this post was best placed here to highlight the container and how I have used it, rather than placing it under natives.
Also apologies for the photos, I need to revise the how to photograph and bonsai tutorial.

The tree is a callistemon 'red alert'. I purchased it from Willow Park Nursery in Pialligo in Feb 19. It was 2018 stock, on special and sitting in the back of the current stock all twisted and turned and looking for a good home.

I used it as demonstration material at the CBS Natives Show in Feb 19 and managed to snap one of the main branches. That evening I removed the wire, applied cut paste, wrapped it in raffia and built a splint to hold the outer portion of the limb. (See the first photo). By early spring there were buds in the vicinity of the break and importantly, plenty of shoots beyond the break.

I think we know how robust and resilient these trees are and you can see in the second photo that it is looking great. The foliage did need reduction and the pads made more compact. I had already considered a slanting flowing design for the tree and when I saw Janet's container with its descending lines, I knew it would work. I completed the style and repot on the Monday after the market.

Frankly, the container has this ethereal quality to it and seems to change colour based on the light. I have attached two photos of the completed design in an attempt to showcase the container in different lighting conditions.

The intent for the tree is to develop the crown, encourage budding on the current back branch, which is the recovering one - you can still see the dark scar.
23 Feb 19 ii.jpg
09 Mar 20 i.jpg
09 Mar 20 Repotted ii.jpg
14 Mar 20 i.jpg

Finally a big thank you to all responsible for coordinating and conducting the market.
And to Janet and other ceramicists, your work is inspiring. :worship:

Have a safe and happy Easter.

Sisto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Janet Selby's 'Bushfire' Container

Post by Keels »

Janet makes some wonderful pots. I think you've done well to match the pot to your tree sisto. Keen to see it progressing into the future and the day it flowers.
Padawan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The live ones
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Janet Selby's 'Bushfire' Container

Post by Padawan »

Thanks mate. It should evolve nicely.

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”