Large pots without breaking the bank

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
BonsaiPancake
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Large pots without breaking the bank

Post by BonsaiPancake »

Where are you guys buying large traditional-looking bonsai pots without spending a fortune? I have bought many really nice handmade pots from Australian potteries but the cost can really add up, especially as you go large.

I have a few larger trees that I would love to display somewhat 'properly' rather than sitting in grow pots, but not keen on getting them into anything too shallow. Of course most nice large pots are quite shallow relative to the size.

As much as the end goal is to get them into shallower pots, it's not always that simple. One example is a big olive I have which looks a lot better with some of the base hidden (better looking taper and general style). This means I'm already losing 3-5 cm of depth in the pot.

Since the number of pots in the >30cm width/length and >10cm deep range are quite low, it's hard to find anything reasonably nice without it being super pricey. Even the super pricey range is limited with these sizes (understandably due to lower demand).

Sydney lockdown and a baby on the way means nursery visits will be rare for the foreseeable future so an online shop or Facebook page that updates their stock frequently would be super!
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Large pots without breaking the bank

Post by Rory »

Tokoname are often traditionally designed, and around the nice $400-$1000 mark.

So I would suggest buying local and be happy with anything up to around the $200-$300 mark for their work, depending on what you consider really nice.

Pat Kennedy you might have to phone him, Tracey Francis (Murrumbung studios website) and Marie Hewartson you can contact from online here, produce stunning works for very cheap prices, relative to their overseas counterparts. Denise Allen is producing lovely pots now too, and I’m sure she was online too.

Compare their prices to say Sara Rayners work or others from overseas and you’ll understand why the best of our Australian potters are not expensive!
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

When you can travel again Id suggest Bonsai World on the Central Coast. Got a large range of pots and some quite reasonably priced. Unfortunately international shipping costs have been going up by around 500% at the moment so prices will go up accordingly. They also supply to most Sydney nurseries but I suppose it depends on what they stock.

As far as trying to buy large pots online, I think you will find that shipping costs will add considerable cost to the actual cost and then there is the possibility of breakage.

Short of that, you can always make your own "pot" from timber. Old pallets are readily available for free and can be made to any size you want. They will only last a few years, but may give you a chance to source something better.

And as for your olive, cant you just cut the section off that you don't want? I don't grow olives, but my understanding is that you can flat cut them without any roots and they do just fine.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

The below pot was from Bonsai World. Was about $60. Don't know if they have more or how much they will be now due to price increase. Size is internally 35cm wide by 26cm and 10cm deep. Next size up is about 45cm wide by 36cm and 14cm deep. was about $80
Stock - 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
BonsaiPancake
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by BonsaiPancake »

Will definitely have to get up there at some point. That's the exact type of pot size and price point I'm looking for.
And as for your olive, cant you just cut the section off that you don't want?
From my understanding it can take quite a toll on the tree going for a second cut like this? Might need to wait a few years to get it healthier then take the plunge. Not confident enough to do that yet 8-)
thugdeezee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elms
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by thugdeezee »

Too bad your not on the gold coast, im trying to sell 3 large Japanese made pots (bought from red dragon bonsai) on gumtree and my best offer so far has been $45 for all three pots!! :lost:
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Two things:

- You can chop the trunk on your olive a second time. Depending on how long it has been in a pot it shouldn’t sulk too much at all.

- My friend Greg has plenty of large pots at bonsaiceramics.com.au and will ship anywhere. Lovely Yixing and vintage pots of all shapes and sizes. (Sorry, can’t get the link to work, you’ll need to cut and paste the link)

I just checked the website and some of the newer arrivals don’t have pictures yet, but if there’s anything of interest you can contact him and he’ll send you a picture.

Matt.

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”