Wooden pots - anyone tried them?

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
Solo1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: None presently

Wooden pots - anyone tried them?

Post by Solo1 »

Hi fellow enthusiasts, I’m new to the forum but have been growing and styling trees for over 30 years.
I have been a member of clubs in the past (Newcastle Bonsai Society and the Goldfields Bonsai Club) but now I’m happy to enjoy my creations in my backyard.
As some of my trees are getting pretty large now and money being a bit short, a few years ago I made a timber pot for a Cedrus Deodar out of hardwood fence palings, it lasted about six years before falling apart.
The second timber pot, again made out of fence palings but with copper sheet reinforced corners was constructed about three years ago and is still going strong. Picture attached with Pinus Roxbughii (Chir Pine) informal upright tree.
So it comes to my third attempt which is constructed from recycled Merbau decking boards, again I used riveted copper reinforced corners. Picture attached with windswept style Cedrus Deodar.
I used flattened out copper pipe for sheet corners and bought the 3mm rivets on eBay. Vinegar and salt was used to get the verdigris patina on the copper.
I think (hope) that I should be able to get at least six or seven years use out of this new pot, and it looks 100% better than a plastic or foam growing container.
I would be interested if anyone else tried anything similar to mine?
FYI, the Deodar was purchased from the Kmart Waratah garden shop in 1992.
9C86D609-7308-4851-9897-FABBB4F07108.jpeg
78CC98A9-503C-45F1-B4F7-F2677A1B08FA.jpeg
B651644C-D348-4227-B26E-D54F60A91073.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Re: Wooden pots - anyone tried them?

Post by Phil Rabl »

I haven't used timber pots other than as training pots. I think what matters most is the tree/pot combination (which is always subject to our budgetary constraints) and I think you have done a good job with your construction. The rustic look works for me.

I do have one pot made of wood - but it is styled by nature. Haven't used it yet, but hope to soon.
IMG_3518.jpg

BTW, I also think there is an unfortunate trend today in pot design that goes close to making the pot the star, rather than the tree. The pots may well be magnificent, but I think some of them become the main attraction. I prefer them to complement the tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

To make the wooden pots last longer try giving them several coats of wood hardener and then coat the inside with bituminous paint, making sure all the end grain is sealed thoroughly. Let the pot air out for a couple of months to allow any volatiles in the paint to escape.
The other option is to make enquiries at the local pottery supplies shop if they can fire pottery for you. If they do, educate yourself (plenty of videos on YouTube) and make clay pots by constructing them on a bench without using a potter's wheel. I've made about 50 pots in the last few years like that and it works out a lot cheaper than buying them.
Cheers, Frank.
Solo1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: None presently

Post by Solo1 »

Thanks very much for the comments and excellent suggestions! :yes:
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Saw a guy on Facebook post these. They look handy and seem easier enough to build.

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”