Benchtop Water Catching

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku, Ficus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Benchtop Water Catching

Post by Kedron Brook »

Happy New Year everyone, new blades of grass and fossilised stumps alike :aussie:

I am moving before the end of the year, and will probably move into a flat with a sunny balcony. I want to control the water run-off from the benches. Does anyone have any helpful ideas? My current benches are a mix of finds at the tip shop, metal garage benches and desk frames with mesh on top. I could buy a specific bench, if such a thing exists.

It could go like this; Shop at somewhere like Clark Rubber to find a thin, tough, clear plastic. Lay this onto the benches, snipping the corners, propping up the edges ought to produce a shallow simple basin. Then tilting the benches via raising their feet, so the water will run in one direction. Next snip a hole and pop a bucket underneath.

Does anyone else try to recycle water run-off from benches? Coming after several flood years in a row, I'm not currently motivated by environmental goals.

Does anyone else encounter problems with water sitting on balconies, downstairs neighbours complaining etc.?

Thanks in advance :wave:
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
it's the green life for me.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Benchtop Water Catching

Post by shibui »

I remember someone was using corrugated iron sheets under the benches to direct water into containers for reuse. I think something rigid like that would be easier to manage than flexible plastic sheet and the benches can stay horizontal and support the under sheet at an angle to facilitate run off going in one direction toward your catchment container.

Here's one thread I found using the search button: https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... er#p180039
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”