Ladder Bench

Everything about displaying your bonsai.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Ladder Bench

Post by MelaQuin »

I came home from work a number of years ago to find someone had dumped an 8' wooden ladder across the street. Inspiration. I carried it home and with the additional of cut to size heavy metal grid and brackets, established my first 'real' bench, fondly known as the Ladder Bench. It has worked well and when it started to deteriorate after years of watering, I got a replacement at a local auction place. It lets the air circulate around the trees and blends in with the garden - a high priority in a small backyard.

Ah yes... the red bonsai near the left end is 'Clump Style on a Slab'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MelaQuin on January 21st, 2009, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

Re: Ladder Bench

Post by Marc »

I thought a lot about a ventilated bench for my plants, but I simply do not trust our Melbourne weather drying them out too much. Even the last few days of 40 with high winds, water in the morning and in the evening, it was bearly enough. Some plants are in black plastic regular pots, some in nice bonsai pots. The ones in bonsai pots have little feet under them, so a little air would get through. the ones in the plastic pots sit pretty much flush. But to my mind they get enough wind and air...

They dry out just too readily in the summer that any more air space I don't want to risk. Although I see in many places I go to they use these, not everywhere, but a lot of places...

Return to “Pots, Benches, and Stands”