Terrestrial Orchids

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Terrestrial Orchids

Post by Jow »

Hi Neil as you know i am Interested!!
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Terrestrial Orchids

Post by Jow »

Hi All,

My Green hoods are just starting to flower. Thanks again Neil!
IMG_2817.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Well ahead of mine Joe. One pot of Pterostylis nutans has a few flowers out but still a week or so away from P. curta flowering.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Hey fellow terrestrial nuts!

I've got Pterostylis nutans, curta, baptistii, longifolia, concinna and another unidentified species in flower right now. I also have a few Corybas aconitiflorus in flower too. I'm trying a few Thelymitra graminea as well but don't have high hopes for their survival.

Happy to provide pics of any of them.

Joel
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jow »

In full flower at the moment!
IMG_4935.JPG
IMG_4937.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Joel, photos would definitely be appreciated. Also a quick-and-dirty guide to growing - mine all failed. Maybe snailed. I haven't seen many used as accents, but it seems like they could be very useful.

Thanks,

Gavin
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

A quick guide to growing terrestrials Gavin :?: :?: So many species, many with different growth patterns and cutivation needs :lost:

Easiest species are the colony forming greenhoods - Pterostylis nutans, P. curta, P. pedunculata. Chiloglottis and diuris species are relatively easy to grow as well. Caladenias are difficult, Dipodium and Gastrodia cannot be kept in pots.

Use a very well drained mix. Craig W came up with the idea of growing his pterostylis in used bonsai mix which has appropriate properties and the orchids do well in it. Terrestrial orchids rely on fungi to convert organic matter into food for the orchid so terrestrial mixes have had wood shavings etc to provide nutrition for the fungi. I am not sure whether they will manage in a completely inorganic mix.
I add a spoonful of blood and bone to the mix when potting up the tubers for nutrients to help the fungi start breaking down the pinebark.

Most of our terrestrials are summer dormant. They sprout in autumn then grow through winter, flower and then die down in summer. Most are adapted to dry summers so culture reflects this - keep the pots quite dry over summer or dormant tubers will rot. start watering around March or when new leaves appear.
Repot when dormant over summer. The dormant tubers are roundish (or oval in some species) and white - a little like pearls. Tip the mix out in a sieve to locate the tubers. A mix with large white gravel makes it much harder to sort out the tubers when repotting. Replant tubers about 3 cm deep in fresh mix. Colony forming pterostylis can form 3 or 4 tubers from each plant so they will get crowded very quickly and should be repotted each year.

Native orchids are all protected and should not be collected from wild populations. Many species are critically endangered and taking some could push the species into extinction. Native terrestrials can be obtained from orchid shows, especially ANOS (Australian Native Orchid Society) shows. ANOS also runs a tuber bank where members swap or give away excess tubers after repotting in summer.

Enough for a start?
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Damn fine Neal. Will do.

Gavin
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Great summary Shibui :clap: thanks for the info :cool: :flag:
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

A few of my Pterostylis are flowering.
Pterostylis nutans 1.JPG
Pterostylis nutans 3.JPG
The flowers hanging down like this identifies this common species.
Pterostylis curta 1.JPG
Pterostylis curta is another common species. Flowers are a bit bigger than nutans. It is dentified by the labellum ('tongue' inside the flower) which you can just make out inside this flower. It always has a 1/4 twist.
Pterostylis curta 2.JPG
Pterostylis come in a wide range of flower shapes and arrangements. here is Pterostylis melogramma which has multiple flowers on a tall stem.
Pterostylis melogramma 1.JPG
Pterostylis melogramma 2.JPG
This species has an 'irritable' labellum. When an insect lands on the 'tongue' hanging down ( you can just make it out on le upper left flower) it snaps shut inside the flower (labellum on the upper right flower has triggered for this pic) forcing the insect to crawl past the anther and stamens to pollinate the flower. Unfortunately P. melogramma does not multiply like the other 2 species so it is a bit harder to get hold of. These can be multiplied by removing the new tuber halfway through the season and the plant will grow a second one.

Pterostylis baptistii has the largest flowers. mine have buds but won't open for a few weeks. Pterostylis bicolour is at the other end of the size spectrum with tiny flowers. It has just started to put up a flowering spike.

I'm leading a short walk near Yackandandah on Saturday afternoon to look at some of the local orchids and their place in the ecology of our bush.
bonsaiLov
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: FIGS
Bonsai Age: 28

Post by bonsaiLov »

I was surprised this year when I discovered one in a Ficus pot,just in the right place too
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

It is summer and many of the native terrestrials are dormant
repotting terrestrials 1.JPG
Except for a couple of swamp loving species the pots should be kept on the dry side over summer or tubers can rot.

Summer is also time to repot.
repotting terrestrials 2.JPG
and pick out all the tubers you can find. There will be bigger ones and some quite small ones.
repotting terrestrials 3.JPG
Does anybody want some Pterostylis nutans or P. curta tubers :?: I have a few to spare again this year.

note that not all species multiply like this. many only produce 1 replacement tuber for each plant. there are ways to make them multiply but that's advanced potato cultivation. This tute is just basics.

Part fill the pot with mix. I'm using Craig's suggestion of sieved used bonsai mix. It has excellent drainage and enough organic particles to feed the fungi which will feed the orchid. I add about a dessertspoon of blood and bone to each 15 cm pot.
repotting terrestrials 6.JPG
Place the tubers about 4 cm deep
repotting terrestrials 4.JPG
Then top up with more mix. Casuarina needles as a mulch helps protect the mix and will stop the leaves sitting on damp mix and rotting when they grow next year.
repotting terrestrials 5.JPG
There's no need to water them in. They will only need an occasional water until the weather starts to cool down in autumn or they grow new leaves. Tubers will rot if kept damp while they are dormant.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Shame I'm in the wrong state shibui, otherwise I'd definately take you up on that offer. This thread has really stirred my curiosity with the native orchids, would love to get my hands on a couple :lost:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Hi Jason,
You are in the right state for growing terrestrial orchids. Just can't get any of these from me.

Look up Australian Native Orchid Society and join a local group or get to a show. Most ANOS groups have tuber swaps at this time of year where members contribute excess like this to get other members started. They also have pots of plants for sale at the spring shows.
WA terrestrials are awesome :tu:
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

shibui wrote:Hi Jason,
You are in the right state for growing terrestrial orchids. Just can't get any of these from me.

Look up Australian Native Orchid Society and join a local group or get to a show. Most ANOS groups have tuber swaps at this time of year where members contribute excess like this to get other members started. They also have pots of plants for sale at the spring shows.
WA terrestrials are awesome :tu:
Thanks for the tip Shibui, looks like we have quite an active group over here :) Going to have to pop in to a meeting I think, I never realised we had such a variety over here!
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”