Watsonia

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Watsonia

Post by MattA »

Thought I would share this years oddity of the bench. These Watsonia bulbs were intended for a friends garden but as they had already shot were potted into a half depth 8" nursery pot. The friend changhed their mind & the bulbs were left to do their thing, only getting water but no feed. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a couple of flower spikes forming so transfered it to this pot so they looked a bit more presentable for flowering...
watsonia.jpg
Instead of the usual 1.5mtrs tall these are just 60cm! I doubt they would thrive long term so will be planted back into the ground for next season...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
lacertilian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Watsonia

Post by lacertilian »

Hi Matt,
I really like those flowers! I don't think that I've seen them before.
Cheers
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

They never made it back to the ground & growth is well away for the year, as for flowers .. who knows....
Dscn0457rz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Are watsonias safe to grow up there Matt? In Victoria they very quickly turn feral and take over in the bush. Watsonia is on the list of baddies - nurseries are asked not to sell these and responsible gardeners should not plant it.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey mate, I had no idea of its weed status so did a search, it seems its only been declared as such in Vic & WA. Thats not to say it couldnt become a problem up here so I will be extra careful in how I dispose of any excess matter (seed or corm) :tu2:
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”