Moss or something else...??

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Emoska
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Amur Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Moss or something else...??

Post by Emoska »

Hi all,

I've noticed some green 'stuff' growing around the base of my maple recently, and decided to leave it, with the impression that it may have been some moss! As you'll notice in the picture I've attached however, its a rather sludge-textured green, and I'm unsure if its moss... looks like algae really.

Any ideas on what I'm dealing with here?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash Barns
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Pines.Tridents etc
Bonsai Age: 21

Re: Moss or something else...??

Post by Ash Barns »

Looks like liverwort to me which I am sure smearing with vinegar from a paintbrush gets rid of it. Would like to hear other opinions before it is treated.

Ash :)
http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gib
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm,Fig,Bougi
Bonsai Age: 27
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by Gib »

Hi,

I would say you have a agle on the maple.Not a very nice thing to have growing...

I would get it off your tree ASAP. Back off a bit with the watering.Spray it with vineger should do the job. :D

Cheers

Gib
"Your life should be a scrapbook of happy times,happy places and happy people"
Emoska
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Emoska »

Ooooh, thanks to the both of you. I've sprayed the 'stuff' with some vinegar now, and I'll keep you posted about how it goes!
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

i think another problem may be your soil mix...

it needs to drain freely, i.e. water and it's under the surface in a few seconds.

this or you have it in a tray of water...

my recommendation is to give it a bare root, your in qld so chat to your locals re when they do thier maples(i reckon if it hasn't budded out yet it's gettin pretty close up there), and chuck it in somethin that drains well, you won't see this stuff again.

:D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Vinegar works, I pick it off with bonsai tweezers - whatever you do... GET RID OF IT. It forms a solid mat on the soil and prevents water and air from getting to the roots. And yes, look to your soil mix as it could be too heavy but I have friend's who use a very open mix and can get it. The main point is get if out of your trees!!!

Same with Star Grass... it looks great, great scale for most trees but it spreads like wildfire, will colonize every pot in your collection, gets between the roots so it is hard to remove and mats the soil as well as taking too much of the tree's nutrients. This is one weed, along with liverwort, that I am never casual with and always try to get it all in the otto bin. But spores or seeds are in the soil I throw into the garden or gets dropped on the patio and it is between a lot of bricks.

Mind you... I have 10 litres of brown vinegar newly purchased to scrub the patio and get rid of such things.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi Emoska,
I agree with Aaron, that sludge at the base of your maple looks like the effects of either poor soil structure or overwatering, or both. A few years ago those horrible water storing crystals that are on the shelves everywhere, started making their way into bonsai mixes of some of my students and beginners that I came in contact with. The crystals turn bonsai soils into gelatinous goo after a while and are to be avoided unless you are looking to commit horticultural homicide :) .

It is possible that the planting media contains this death jelly or another component that is inhibiting drainage.

If you choose to discard the current soil and repot, a really simple soil mix that will perform well for 3 years between repots is a 50/50 mix of an off the shelf bonsai mix (Debco will do) and Maidenwell diatomite 2-7mm size. Buy yourself a set of 3 sieves from a bonsai nursery and sift the fines from both ingredients using the smallest mesh and discard the fines. Sifting is easier and more effective if the ingredients are just dry to the touch. Mix together and you are done. Good luck and keep us posted on your trees progress.

MM
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Emoska
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Emoska »

Hey all!

Thank you for your contributions :-) I have used some vinegar and sprayed the sludge, and it has browned and started to fade!

It's interesting because I previously bought a pot to re-pot this tree into, but not because I had any qualms with the soil. Good timing, eh? :-) I shall re-pot in Spring to be safe.

Thank you all again!
pasquale
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by pasquale »

Just wondering if they are aquarium pebbles on the surface. If so, they may be the source of the algae. Poor drainge/over-watering is still likely to be the main contributing factor.

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”