Protecting thy Moss..

Share ideas and photo's of accent plants and moss.
Robsterios
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula BS, BSV

Protecting thy Moss..

Post by Robsterios »

Howdy... Over our recent Summer, I've been increasingly frustrated with those damn blackbirds digging through my moss around my precious bonsai. Having researched solutions to this issue, I've come to realize that it's a common problem with many, sometimes to the extent where people just give up. For me, the moss adds so much to the whole scene, particularly in forest plantings so I'm finally happy to have found a solution - that has worked for me anyway. Not sure if many people have tried the product Scat - commonly found in Bunnings and the like (or on ebay - although cheaper at the green shed).. Not so long ago towards the end of Summer, I carefully planted out some collected moss in my Myrtle Beech forest, the birds were straight into it, ripping out the moss and making a mess of things. I re-planted the moss and sprayed Scat around the pot surrounds and the surface itself, the next day, only one little bit of moss was turned over, as if the bird had hopped down and given it a go and instantly found it distastefull and left it alone. It's now been around a month and still ok. In addition, I've hung a few of those cat decoys (the black ones with the marble eyes - ebay special) close by. I've found that elsewhere in the garden, the birds don't seem to worry too much and continue to dig around where I have a decoy but believe that it also helps somewhat as I've hung a few close to my bonsai display bench. These one's swing in the breeze a little and give some movement. Time will tell but so far, I'm happy that the Scat spray has worked on any bonsai I have sprayed. Anyway, thought I'd share....cheers, Rob..
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Protecting thy Moss..

Post by Elmar »

Thanx for the share, Rob.
Always a good lesson learned once shared... Thankfully miss is very forgiving and can easily be revived!

I can see how the constant re-working would be a frustration.

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Sammy D »

I might give it a go. I have given up on moss as they make a mess of it. My three foxies are a bit slack and just tend to watch them these days. :palm:
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers.
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Reece »

My biggest problem with moss is that it gets too much sun.

Do you just replace it?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
dibly_w
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: chinese elm , swamp cypress and ummmmm buxus
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: harmony tea garden highfields

Post by dibly_w »

Rubber snakes wotk a treat also . I had the same problem a while ago .
Seems to do the ttick and you can move them around regularly to create some confusion.

Return to “Accent Plants and Moss”