deer scarer water feature

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
siddhar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine,Cedar,Maple, Elm
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: deer scarer water feature

Post by siddhar »

I made my upright "Shishi Odoshi" for next to nics. All materials available from the big green shed. I have the materials to make a sea-saw version which Ill do in the next couple of wkends.
DSC_0416.jpg
DSC_0419.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be like water, my friend.”

Regards, Sidd.
PaulC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Nepean

Post by PaulC »

Hi everyone,

Though I am not always a fan of Bunnings, and prefer to support my local nurseries and hardware stores, Bunnings do carry much of everything that would be required to build a deer scarer from scratch, and in fact I spotted a deer scarer at my local Bunnings today assembled complete for $69.00.

So for those who may be a little challenged in the techincal areas, seems `the big green shed`, caters for just about every project.

Perhaps Bunnings is the Ikea of hardware..............perhaps?

Regards,

PaulC
adge0001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper & JBP
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula Bonsai Society

Post by adge0001 »

Nice tsukabai, sid. The Shishi Odoshi or deer scarer is quite easy to make. I've made both in the past and found the tsukabai is less maintenance. Bunnings have the bamboo stakes with the angle already cut out of them, perfect for the poring arm. I used a plastic pit dug into the ground where the pump was stored and cut a little nook out for the tube and power lead to feed out. Make sure you wipe some lindseed oil onto the bamboo as it delays the splitting for some time. Some pics of it in my garden are on the thread, "My japanese garden" in this section Cheers :tu:

Adrian
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."
-Carl Sagan
katiejohnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bamboo
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by katiejohnson »

Mitchell wrote: November 25th, 2010, 8:27 am Here's a dog bamboo water fountain I made, because my she won't drink still water. This bamboo water fountain represents the mechanism to re-cycle the water, via a small 12v pump, through a bottom reservoir.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Reticul ... -Dog-bowl/

We could use 3mm pipe instead, of the 12mm for the bowl for bamboo water fountain.

The rest of it is simple, a 1.8m piece of bamboo sold at bunnings, cut into appropriate lengths for uprights/spout, tipper/uprights.

I'll try and draw how to cut the bamboo. I use traditional methods only, with bamboo fixings for the tilters pin etc. It may be easier to use standard hardware such as screws and hide them after. :)
I know this is very old thread :) But I want to say thank you for this information...

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”