A bit of digging

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

A bit of digging

Post by MattA »

Over the last week I have hooked into the last part of the back 500, a couple of nice grow beds & not a straight line in sight.
100_5037rz.jpg
100_5038rz.jpg
100_5039rz.jpg
The beds will be edged with recycled concrete like the rest of the garden.
100_5040rz.jpg
All that is left is the pond embankment and the main garden build is finally done, it's only taken five years of digging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: A bit of digging

Post by MoGanic »

Looking good mate! I love to do work such as this. Look forward to seeing this develop and believe me the work pays off like nothing else.

The longest, hardest road yields the greatest result.

If only I had a garden to work in :cry: (still living with the folks, trying to move out but my Bonsai buying spree never ends)
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

A month ago I scored a ute load of solid bricks & 2 wks later 2 trailer loads of concrete block & rubble was dropped in my yard...
Finally the main line is complete making future barrow work much easier.
100_5541rz.jpg
There was enough brick to go up & around to the top, the last 5' of path will have to wait for the next lot of brick I come across...
100_5542rz.jpg
Hopefully there will be enough concrete chunks to meet up with the brick path near the side fence.
100_5544rz.jpg
It looks a mess but the walls of the beds are built, the rest will be put into the path once dug to facilitate laying it level.
100_5545rz.jpg
From the other end, another day of work should see the latest sections finished as much as materials allow.
100_5549rz.jpg
Until I get more concrete my next project is to dig the pond another foot or so deeper while it is dry. I intend to keep some of the better clay thats dug to experiment with in pot making, then I just need to find something to do with the other 5 cubic metres of clay :palm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MattA on October 23rd, 2012, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

MoGanic wrote:Looking good mate! I love to do work such as this. Look forward to seeing this develop and believe me the work pays off like nothing else.

The longest, hardest road yields the greatest result.

If only I had a garden to work in :cry: (still living with the folks, trying to move out but my Bonsai buying spree never ends)
Hey Mo,
Sorry I missed your post earlier & thanks for your kind words. I have built a garden for my parents & other friends but to have my own to go nuts in is something else....

Your spot on about the longest hardest road, its been a 5yr project so far but well worth every bit of slog.
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

We used to own a house on an acre and it was all garden. Man that was a job and a half. We sold it and spent 3 yrs travelling around OZ. Now that I'm into bonsai thinking about all the room I used to have and how many trees I would've fitted in an acre :lol: :lol:
It's hard work but nothing better than sitting back and enjoying the fruits of your labour.

Josh
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Josh,
An acre of garden sounds like heaven... I saw your post about your travels & it sounds like soo much fun, I have travelled most of the east coast & inland but never done the round trip, maybe one day. With bonsai it helps to have a heap of ground space for growing stock on, it radically shortens the time needed over pot culture.
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

With a good soak early in the week & a cool change having moved thru I was able to get in & finish the next path.
100_5716rz.jpg
100_5717rz.jpg
100_5718rz.jpg
I have already had the wheelbarrow up round to see how easy it is to navigate, I have already placed some extra concrete to widen the main part which will make it easier to turn in & out of the side path.
100_5722rz.jpg
I still need a decent load of concrete for the pond edging but as far as paths go I dont need much more. Enough concrete or brick for this 6' section...
100_5719rz.jpg
This 10' section would be best done with brick to match either end.
100_5720rz.jpg
The final 20' length of path will go over the hill & meet up with the path at front of the shade house. I am going to need some decent size slabs to give good footing near the pond edge, if I dont come across suitable material I may have to redesign the retaining wall near the house (it was made from old garden path slabs of good size).
100_5721rz.jpg
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”