Courtyard watergardens

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Courtyard watergardens

Post by MattA »

I have a big garden pond & several flood ponds that fill during heavy rains but I can't help but have more water in other spaces. These 2 sit on my back patio, the larger is home to some fantails & provides a good drinking water source for my dogs.
wg1.jpg
wg2.jpg
The smaller pot is more a bog garden with the surface water evaporating off occasionally, its been interesting to watch the occupants find there own space and especially watching the development of the lotus seed I germinated in my tropical aquarium.
wg3.jpg
Next year it will have to go out to the main pond but has been fun, I might get a miniature lotus come spring & keep it in another tub on the patio, you can never have enough ponds :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Re: Courtyard watergardens

Post by Neli »

He he he!
I have only one miserable of those but managed to build 2 ponds and a river. I love Koi.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

hehehe I love koi too but so does my wolfhound x mastiff.. he is ever such a proud fisher I can no longer keep koi in my ponds :(
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

MattA wrote:hehehe I love koi too but so does my wolfhound x mastiff.. he is ever such a proud fisher I can no longer keep koi in my ponds :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta love dogs. Sometimes I wonder who is really in charge.
Cheers, Karl
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

dp............
Last edited by Neli on April 8th, 2013, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Matta,
You mean they eat the Koi????? Very strange! I have a yorky and he is a house dog...I dont allow him to go out anymore. His hair is to the ground, and is bathed twice a week and blow dried...If I let him out the first thing he does is jump in the pond...or in my court yard water feature.
This a dish with water lilies....I put a short fence around the pond...so he went into the dish.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Neli, this is my boy & a friends elbow for size comparison, he didnt eat them just caught & killed them... he was so proud of himself in all his years of swimming he had only ever succeeded with catching a branch or 2.. I couldnt be cranky just stopped keeping koi, I have comets instead now they are faster & more cautious of other objects in the water.
moo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Jasonb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/azalea
Bonsai Age: 1

Courtyard watergardens

Post by Jasonb »

How are the kids going Matt? I'll have to come up and say hello again soon.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

I have 2 ponds, one in the ground for the frogs and another in a medium sized blue ceramic pot.
I am considering getting some large ceramic pipe 450mm ø and sinking them into the ground like wells but they will likely become death traps for more than just small invertebrates :? Maybe just one at 450 deep.
You are right Matt, I get a lot of pleasure out of my ponds, especially in the warmer months with wasps, dragonflies, frogs, birds and other organisms that are attracted to water.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Your boy looks tough and big...mine is tiny and funny.He thinks he is the biggest dog on the block.
Here he is in the water lily pot.
DSC02178 (401x450).jpg
Last edited by Neli on April 9th, 2013, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

I have gone mad as far as ponds are concerned...Just about to finish my second pond.
My old pond
263608_162294650507553_4763111_n.jpg
230284_147671755303176_3623496_n.jpg

my new pond not yet finished. I even bought the plot next door to build the new pond.
DSC01403 (800x600) (800x600).jpg

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”