What to do with this area

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
rudy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 25

What to do with this area

Post by rudy »

HI,

I originally intended to have this area as an in ground grow area for my Radiatas but was worried that they may not get enough sun. Now that i have put the bamboo in place and the bamboo plants on the other side are starting to grow i can see the trees are growing towards the little sun they do get. These pics were taken 10.30 am this morning and the sun is just starting to move over. Come 3.30 or there abouts the sun would have moved over.

I wanted this as a Radiata garden but due to the sun issue i am worried that they will not grow as well as they should. I still have to change the area a bit and it is no way finished so what do you think? Finsh it, stick the plants in for a year and see what happens. They get considerably more sun in summer.
Move the trees somewhere else but this is a problem as i have other plans for the rest of the back yard and it is only about 11 mtr x 11 mtr.

If i do find somewhere else to stick them what do people suggest i do with this area. I want an orientlal look so what plants would be good for it.

Any advice would be appreciated as in my mind have been struggleing with this area for a long time.

Regards
Rudy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle, banksia, figs
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc.

Re: What to do with this area

Post by Stewart_Toowoomba »

Hi Rudy

I think your area looks great - not sure about the whole sun shade issues though. I just wanted to encourage you and your efforts. It will look an impressive area in the end. Will you put pebbles down around the walk area? I think it is great how you've designed the walk in areas to get to the back plants.

I wonder if there are plants than can survive on less sunlight or dappled light?

Any chance of reducing the bambood fence and the live bamboo behind to get more air and light in, or perhaps a bamboo type lattice / grid which is much more open to the light, but still somewhat private? Just a thought.

What have you done inside the wooden frames.... is that black plastic i see? It is treated sleepers and will this affect the plants?

Great effort and thanks for the posting!!

Stew

The dove of peace flies to palace as to humble house, to young as to old, to rich and poor. So does the spirit of bonsai. (John Naka)

Check out our club's website at http://www.toowoombabonsai.com
rudy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rudy »

Thanks afor the ecouragement Stewart.

Don't want to lower or change the bamboo screen, I have nosey neihbours and this provides great privacy. The posts still need to be capped and stained as do the rails and the bamboo needs to be fastended properly and oiled to help prevent it fading.

Yes i will lay some screening on the ground with some pavers/sand stone or something embeded to break it up and make it look like a path.

The centre grow box needs to be extended out a little for more room and the ground in that area needs to be further dug to compensate. It will be split level ground with either blue stone or rail sleepers dividing the the two levels and probably a different ground screening on the second level.

I need to put a trough beside the heater with water as i do not have anywhere to wash hands pots, car parts :whistle: etc and this will be enclosed as will the heater with large bamboo fence screens.

The plastic is stapled to the treated pine at the bottom to stop any seepage at the bottom. I don't believe the treated pine should be an issue as i've seen plenty of garden beds made from it.

I would love to keep the Radiatas there but if i can't i still want it to look oriental. It looks good at night when i have my bathroom light on and want to put some lanterns in the area along with some sort of Japanese ornaments.

Still lots of work.

Regards
Rudy
Slothman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Slothman »

Rudy.

I love those Grow boxes. The simple design is brilliant and I love the shapes created.

I have just been given permission from the other half to turn our old overgrown and neglected vegie patch into a "japanes garden" and bonsai display area. Considering I have only just started getting back into bonsai it will take me years to get anything even close to be ready to potted, let alone displaying.

I am going to steal your design for the planter boxes as they have given me a BRILLIANT idea on what I want to do now, so thank you.

I am really keen to see how this area develops as it is similair in size to the area I have been "assigned".
rudy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rudy »

Hi Sloth,

I'm really happy you like the idea so i have taken some more pics for you to help with your project. Although this area looks very simple it has taken me a long time with lots of changes in the process to get it to this stage. I have put some stones down the paths and will put just a little more on. The trees are now in and the dirt settled so need to put some more compost on to raise the dirt to the level of closest grow box to the house.

I have dug through from the house through the centre of the box to put in conduit and power cable so i can hook up lighting. I have put up a temporary solar light. I will put a garden bench up against the house as the area looks very nice at night. I will put some different pebbles on the area closest to the house and probably a simple plant at this level close to the small retaining wall.

Still lots to do and i wrecken the trees will be fully grown and finished before the area is finished :D .

I have also taken some pics of the other side of the bamboo fence in case i can give you some ideas and some close ups of a couple of trees.

Good luck on your project and glad i could be of help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Good stuff Rudy.
I like it a lot and thanks for sharing.
Looks like some great trees there to mate!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

Looks good rudy-have u thought of mulching? Should help reduce h2o loss and increase soil nutrient levels. Just don't use pine bark!
rudy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rudy »

Hi Istangus,

Yes i have and probably will do it. I'm just concerned that it will blow away. I may bury it under a layer of compost.

I'm also thinking of removing the mulch from my bamboos as i think it is pine bark.

I know pine bark removes nitrogen form the soil but can this be countered by ferilizing as i do put lawn food around them.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Rudy
joannm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Saotome Azalea
Bonsai Age: 45
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by joannm »

You are doing a gr8 job there Rudi.

As the area looks like it want get to much sunlight or wind keep it open so as the plants can breath.
Be aware that even clump bamboos do spread out ours have more than doubled. Height wise they can also go way over what you are told .
Our bamboos went mad , even some of the small ones I found were creeping within 3 months.
but at least you can't see the shed behind it :D
joann
Slothman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Slothman »

Looks great.

I do like the overal feel and style. Very nice.

What is the variety of Bamboo you have there?
rudy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rudy »

Sloth,

The bamboo is Alphonse Karr.

Regards
Rudy

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”