JBP Niwaki considerations

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: -

JBP Niwaki considerations

Post by badabing888 »

Hi All,

I have a large JBP that's been trunk chopped that i intended to use as a landscape tree whats everyone's thought between using a trunk chopped pine then growing it out does it look unusual or does it blend if after a while?

unfortunately options are limited its either one's that are 5-6 meters tall and quite leggy or shorter trunk chopped pines...
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 11.15.06 am.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 11.15.16 am.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 11.15.24 am.jpg
I'm just slowly getting all the elements together before next season doing a full redesign on this area with new fencing gates etc.

I'm 50/50 on pulling out this tallow and putting the JBP in its place on i replace the fencing. Or if i keep it in place with the Black pine kind of in the location its in.
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 11.23.26 am.jpg
Comments ideas welcome. Court yard size is about 5 x 5 meters
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: JBP Niwaki considerations

Post by shibui »

Of course a trunk chop will blend in as the tree grows and thickens.
use bonsai techniques to help the transition - bend one branch up as a new leader then cut the trunk stump at an angle behind the new leader to give better transition and taper. In a few years as the new leader thickens and the chop heals over nobody will ever know.

There could be some issues with shading of the rear side of the pine close to the solid wall depending on which direction the wall is in relation to sun movement. Apart from planting the tree further away from the wall there's not much you can do except live with a niwaki that may have less density to the rear branches.
You would probably have twice the shading issues if you put the pine in the corner in place of the pistacio.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
damienw133
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by damienw133 »

dont worry too much about a trunk chop, It'll definitely heal over well given a few years! As a bonus you should get some more interesting movement in the trunk than you would have been able to achieve through wire alone....

I'd second Shibui's words about light being a bit of an issue for the rear branches of the pine, but aesthetically i dont think it should be too problematic (depending on exactly what you had in mind for it). An awful lot of the niwaki pines i saw in japan tended to be on the more leggy and gnarly side, so there's quite a bit of room for play as far as individual tree design goes.

I've included a couple of good examples of more open and sculptural black pines in Japan...i'm not sure exactly where the first one was, but the second is from one of the lane ways around daitokuji temple
photo_2021-08-26_20-32-33.jpg
photo_2021-08-26_20-32-35.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by badabing888 »

Awesome thanks for that i had thought id likely just need to follow similar principles but i wasn't sure if trunk chopping as a done thing in niwaki and if it would "grow out"

Good point on the light situation the sun is going from left to right of screen so in the corner it would be shaded on the "pool fence" side
Near the limestone fence this would likely get some sun behind as that is north-> east the the other read might be ok late in the afternoon from the south west. I'd imagine in the corner the garage etc would totally shade it.

The two options im looking at are

trunk chopped with a leader
Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 9.35.30 am.jpg
or long and leggy but it is "thinner" about 3.5 meters.
Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 9.35.39 am.jpg
So if it was you what would you choose? :worship: :worship: :worship:
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

Hi Badabing. Where'd you find this in Perth? The way things are with seed I'd be keeping that in the ground and in a couple years starting seedlings year on year.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I think I would choose the thicker chopped one provided the branches are in reasonable locations. The thinner one is just a year or 2 and a trunk chop behind though so either should produce a good tree for you.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by badabing888 »

Hi,

Thanks for the advice!!! That specific “thicker” one had gone as i took that photo 6 months ago.It’s a shame as that was near perfect to what i wanted.

I ended up getting both the thinner one a thicker one and one to play with although its a big leggy. I’ll take my time with them and figure it out.

@birchman PM me ill tell you as the owner has been a bit funny now and his told me he wont sell me any more black pines

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”