Lake Gusmo & Ianami at peak flows

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Lake Gusmo & Ianami at peak flows

Post by MattA »

Well I have been hoping for the last 2weeks that we would have enough rain to fill my lakes. Lake Gusmo in my back yard is approx 6x9mtrs and 1.5mtrs deep when full, Lake Ianami is a wet dry lake with a max depth of 30cm, designed for storm water retention and ground recharge, this includes a large soakage pit under Cubist Cove.

I awoke this morning to find both lakes full and overflowing, Lake Gusmo has not been full since being rebuilt and enlarged last August and this is the first test of the underground drainage system installed to carry water from Lake Gusmo to Lake Ianami, as expected at the time, works were carried out on this system are able to handle peak flows that occur approx 6-10times a year. Modifications have been planned and will be enacted now that the system has been fully tested. Lake Ianami's overflow will be raised another 2" to bring levels up to the original planned max.

Thought I would share the view. Please no comments about the weed currently infesting Lake Gusmo.

Matt
RIMG0653.JPG
RIMG0656.JPG
RIMG0659.JPG
RIMG0660.JPG
RIMG0663.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Lake Gusmo & Ianami at peak flows

Post by bodhidharma »

Had a little rain have we Matt :lol: Its looking good. Do you have fish? As i remember mossies were a problem when my In Laws lived in Newcastle and they were inner city. Fish would eat the larva.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Bodhi.. yeah just a little rain, forget when I last had to water trees its been going on so long...

I have Gambusa (Mossie fish) and comets in the main pond, I was given several large koi but one of my dogs developed a love of fishing. He was so proud of himself that he had actually managed to catch one I really couldnt be too angry.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

Matt, I love your vision and artistic flair. Most people would whinge about having water lying around, you just turn it into beautiful ponds and waterways. Such inspiration!

Glenda
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

Glenda wrote:Matt, I love your vision and artistic flair. Most people would whinge about having water lying around, you just turn it into beautiful ponds and waterways. Such inspiration!

Glenda
Couldn't have said it better :)
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Anja wrote:
Glenda wrote:Matt, I love your vision and artistic flair. Most people would whinge about having water lying around, you just turn it into beautiful ponds and waterways. Such inspiration!

Glenda
Couldn't have said it better :)
Ditto :)

Nothing like using nature to your advantage rather than trying to obstruct it.
Thanks for sharing Matt!

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Verry nice Matt
:-)
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

I couldnt resist sharing this photo of my 2 and a friends dog playing in the pond. Now the proper overflow is in place (black box on far side) Bentonite is on the research list to source if anyone knows of somewhere in newcastle would be most appreciated.
R0013935.jpg
R0013937.jpg
R0013938.jpg
R0013941.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

I was asked on another thread about my garden I thought I would post a couple of new pics. With most of the prebonsai finally moved out of the front yard the final native plantings have been made on the mountains. It needs a good weed but I like the slightly wild look
100_5288rz.jpg
100_5289rz.jpg
The raisin trees are all back in leaf and now the basic frame has been established they should really fill out this year creating much needed shade on the western side of the house.
100_5290rz.jpg
Its been a very dry winter & the main pond is at its lowest ever having dropped about 12", exposing the waterlily... I am seriously wondering where to plant the lotus or if I keep it in a tub for the year.
100_5294rz.jpg
The overflow needs special treatment & today I picked up a ute load of material that should be perfect for the job, it needs to be solid to withstand a path being built over the edge & still allow full access for water & clearing debris.
100_5299rz.jpg
The path & wall from the shade house end are still in flux, I dont know if I like the first/second stepper.. I might have to see what I have in my stockpile...
100_5301rz.jpg
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Looking really great Matt! :cool:
It must have taken a hell of a lot of work to accomplish! I imagine it must be very relaxing to be surrounded by such a beautiful garden :tu2:
Do you ever get any ducks in your lake, or do the dogs scare them off? Also, are birds regular visitors to your garden?
Thanks for the update.
Cheers, Dario.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Thanks Dario, a garden is not work but a labour of love... having said that I couldnt even begin to estimate how much dirt has been moved, let alone concrete, soil & mulch that has been brought into the yard... maybe in the next 5yrs it should be close to completion :fc:

With bushland behind & surrounding my town, I get alot of birds in the garden, ducks in season, egrets for my goldfish, kookaburra's looking for snakes that come for the frogs and loads of others looking for a drink. Lots more come for the native grasses and once the grevillea & other shrubs fill out, hopefully even more birds will come. The dogs are really good about them, as long as its not magpies trying to steal their bones :whistle:

When clearing the weeds earlier this year I also came across a series of Bandicoot tunnels, so I have wired off an area for them to go wild, it also gives them a bit of daytime protection from my dogs. At night the dogs are kept to the main housegarden so the bandicoots can forage freely. :cool:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Booga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: acer
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Booga »

Thats one cool natural habitat you are building Matt, It looks and sounds good :cool:
AC/DC died with Bon, And I am on the hwy to hell too...
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Sounds like a beatiful environment you have created Matt :tu:
Thanks for the update!
Cheers, Dario.

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”