Kumazasa 'Sasa veitchii' bamboo

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Kumazasa 'Sasa veitchii' bamboo

Post by Bretts »

Although not exactly what we where hoping for the Editor at Plant this has been very helpful. I have to say nice things because the Editor is watching us :lol:
Re: EDITOR 31 Jan 2011 - 10:30:00 AM
Hi. Came across the AusBonsai thread in research and haven’t been much more successful for current listings. Maybe Shibataea kumasaca as a possible substitute on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/very-rare-ground ... 2eb290195b ), though it doesn’t have the silver edging as the leaves age – desiccation of the leaf edge rather than a variegation.
Trawling through memory for possibly useful sightings, Wollongong Botanic Garden has a bank of it in their Japanese garden. Maybe a deal could be done with their friendly staff.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ginkgo, Japanese Maple, Stewartia
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Thanks for the update. I'm not sure how well these things would survive a trip down from queensland. Maybe I'll drop into those botanic gardens in wollongong next time we go up to sydney.
Akamatsu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Pines, Maples & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 37

Post by Akamatsu »

Hi guys,

Kyushu danji, Thanks for the PM, will get back to you soon.

Stewart I think that the bamboo in your photo's is in fact Shibatea kumasasa as the leaves seem to be attached to the nodes along the stem and the old leaf tips are brown. On Sasa veitchii the
the leaf is a draker green and longer and the old leaves will have very distinctive dry brown edges all the way along the leaf.
All the same, its a really nice variety and if you can grab some without getting busted Id love to get some off you!! :shifty:
Akamatsu
盆栽を育てるのが好きです。
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

The white edging in winter, or the die back you might say, is one of the reasons I want this bamboo. It even has medicinal uses in japan. Can't believe it is this hard to get hold of, when in other parts of the world it is so prolific!
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Found!
Hi James,

Yes we do have S Veitchii

$ 59 bare rooted incl p&p (we sell it here for $59)

best regards,

Peter

Maleeya's Thai Cafe & Studio
Hillside Bamboo Nursery
Rmb 1416
PORONGURUP WA 6324
maleeya.com.au
They will post to the eastern states. I guess winter would be the best time to order/plant these if they are bare rooted?

James
Last edited by Kyushu Danji on February 2nd, 2011, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katiejohnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bamboo
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by katiejohnson »

Kyushu Danji wrote: January 29th, 2011, 12:02 pm This type of bamboo is often used for ground cover in shaded areas, and in winter the tips of the leaves turn white. Its an awesome looking plant, and I have seen it grow in Japan and the UK, but I haven't been able to find anywhere that stocks it in Australia. Does anyone know of a good nursery that specializes in bamboo? The internet is proving to be unhelpful when it comes to tracking down where I can buy this plant, and I don't want to settle for that tiger grass that seems to be sold in all the nurseries I have checked so far.
Thank you. It looks awesome... I love bamboo plant. Because you can use bamboo for every decor.

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”